Winding up, nearly home!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
December 30th 2006
Published: December 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Who needs a family car?Who needs a family car?Who needs a family car?

How cute is this family of 5 heading off to the Saigon version of the myer christmas windows!
Hey everyone, don't expect anyone to see this until after NYE, so hope you all have a big one planned. Matt and I have made it to Koh Phangan with our group of 9, very ready for a big night on Hat Rinn beach for the full moon party tomorrow. We arrive home next Friday (the 5th, just in time for your party little Weena!) so this will be the last blog.

Last time I wrote I think we were in Mui Ne (Vietnam) about to head off for Saigon. That is a city and a half. Its like a cheap, asian copy of New York, massive neon lights and heaps of traffic. Very very westernised compared to Hanoi (north), but we really enjoyed the time we had here. Lots of great shopping, but that has also resulted in lots of heavy baggage!

We based ourselves in Saigon and visited the Mekong Delta and Cu Chi Tunnels on day trips. Definetly not recommended, day trips suck! you end up on a massive bus, on which you spend more time travelling and visiting comission based tourist shops than you do at the attraction you were hoping to see. Mekong Delta
Mekong madnessMekong madnessMekong madness

not really, quite a boring day trip, not advised if you only have one day to do the mekong. was pretty exciting wearing the hats tho...
wasn't anywhere near as nice as the scenery we had seen up north, wouldnt bother going back unless we did it solo over a few days. Cu Chi tunnels was really intresting, but im glad we'd read a book on it before we went because our tour guide was terrible. Was really morbid having someone discuss in detail hoe they killed the americans (and australians) with their homemade weapons. I did hold an AK47 tho, quite empowering...

The best thing we did in saigon was get talked into doing a impromtu tour on the back of local motorbike riders. These guys drove us around the crazy city for a few hours, taking us to the major sites, but also to local places that were thankfully devoid of tourists. So much better than following the Lonely Planet guide, was a great way to get our bearing in the city.

We flew to Bangkok, then to Koh Samui on the 23rd. Very built up little islnad, barely any sand and the beach is dominated by expensive resorts (which we were not staying in!) After a ridiculously large night on christmas eve (including beach party AND dancing with lady-boys) we woke
Viet Cong Claire!Viet Cong Claire!Viet Cong Claire!

getting some practice for the next time matt steps out of line...
very late on christmas morning to no families and no presents but large hangovers. Definetely the least memorable christmas in a long time! There was 12 of us for Xmas lunch at a english pub, so at least we had the traditional meal.

We then headed to Koh Tao for some more relaxing. Beautiful place, very hard to leave, Best thing we did was take an all day snorkelling tour around the island,. We stopped at four dive sites, including the gorgeous Koh Nang Yuan, where the water is so clear that you can be hip deep in water and feed schools of fish with bananas by hand! They were so hungry they even ate off the french manicure I had done in koh samui!

We are now in Koh Phangan (party island) for 4 nights over NYE. Then to Bangkok for 2 nights (no more shopping though, matt and I are over the weight limit) then home! Cant wait to see everyone, missing a melbourne summer! I think Im the only person in thailand who has zero tan but plenty of freckles!

to everyone who went to falls, we're both thinking of you! What a line up, bet it was awesome. to laura and tim in europe, hope you have stopped spewing on all your new friends!

see you very soon!

Claire and Matt xoxo


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

matt being a tunnel ratmatt being a tunnel rat
matt being a tunnel rat

i sooked it and wouldnt go through the tunnel, but matt made it the full 30m underground. he would have made a good viet cong
the only way to see phu quocthe only way to see phu quoc
the only way to see phu quoc

thongs, boardies and a kaftan, with a very poor excuse for a helmet. What better way to explore an untouched island? matt let me drive cos im a speed demon
partying with the girls in samuipartying with the girls in samui
partying with the girls in samui

best night O/S yet; met up with mich, liz and jessie. Had tickets to a private beach party, then hit the clubs til the wee hours. Buckets of Jaegar and Red bull all round!!
sunset in phu quocsunset in phu quoc
sunset in phu quoc

beautiful place, apart from the scary dogs who patrolled the beach at night. Forget about any romantic walks here!
Suprise!Suprise!
Suprise!

matt says the biggest suprise was that he fitted into the tiny cu chi tunnel hole! apparently the viet cong used to pop out of the holes and shoot people.
the aftermaththe aftermath
the aftermath

definetely the most hungover I have ever been on christmas day. We had free wine flowing at christmas lunch, and i dont think any one touched it
Koh Nang YuanKoh Nang Yuan
Koh Nang Yuan

easily the most spectacular little island we have ever been to, just beautiful. Rare to find something untouched in asia
feeding the fishies!feeding the fishies!
feeding the fishies!

i had no idea that fishies liked to eat banana and pineaple! so much fun hand feeding them in the crystal clear water! amazing view under the surface
Brekie at Ko TaoBrekie at Ko Tao
Brekie at Ko Tao

what a view. The water, not matt!
beaching it up in koh phanganbeaching it up in koh phangan
beaching it up in koh phangan

tomorrow night this beach will be filled with 10 djs (all genres), 30,000 people and one full moon for NYE!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb