Week 2 on Lanta and Trips to Koh Roc and Koh Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
February 21st 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Life continues on Lanta as we wind down our second week on the island. Hope this blog finds everyone healthy and happy!

We started off the week with a trip to the island of Koh Roc which is part of a National Marine Park noted for its snorkelling. We left at 8 a.m. by speedboat with about 10 other travellers for a 40 min. ride south. The first half of the ride was smooth as silk but ended up to be a very choppy ride but we made it safe and sound. We snorkeled at 3 different spots - very beautiful with lovely fish and amazing coral. However, not quite as nice as Belize! The highlight was a giant school of thousands of deep purple fish feeding off a healthy coral. Our snorkel guide instructed us to slowly and calmy swim towards them so they wouldn't flutter away. It was quite a sight! The beach where we had lunch was another unforgettable sight with soft white sand and crystal clear turquoise water. It is nice to know that they keep these places for only day visits and do not sucumb to hotels and tourist businesses. However, you can camp overnight. I am happy to announce it was a smooth and enjoyable ride all the way back.

On Tuesday we were invited to Beo's 39th birthday party. Beo is the lady who own "Sweet and Sour" restaurant. It was a lot of fun and interesting to observe the celebrations. People came and went all day and evening with a buffet of food, live music and dancing. At midnight Beo appeared for a grand entrance in a beautiful long gown with everyone singing Happy Birthday about 10 times along with champagne and cake. I think the festivities went until 3 a.m.

One day we took a scooter ride to the other side of the island to "OLd Town Lanta". This is where the island originally settled and is very historic. No hotels but many lovely shops, crafts and restaurants along the water. I bought a very cool mango wood flower vase. Later we stopped on top of the mountain part way back at the ViewPoint Restaurant for lunch and an extordinary view.

Shopping seems to be a steady job for me over here in Thailand! The markets are hard to resist with really cute beach and summer wear. Silk scarves, bathing suits, dresses, jewerlery, all kinds of tops etc are all available and nothing is more than $10 and appears to be of good quality. Things I bought two years ago still look brand new. Warren has actually bought a few shirts!!! It is the only place I have ever seen him actually look at stuff and maybe even buy (other than Canadian Tire!)

We met a couple of girls from Phillipines who have been working in Koh Lanta for two years. Marjorie works at a resort and Melody sings at resort restaurants and bars. She is a very good singer. One night we all went out for supper to where she was singing and enjoyed the entertainment. It is easier for them to get a job in Thailand than in Philipines and since their English is very good it was a good decision for them.

On Sunday we decided to go to Phi Phi for the day. This beautiful island is only an hour ferry ride from Lanta. It is quite famous and very touristy, however definately worth a visit. We left on the 8 a.m. ferry and pulled into Phi Phi around 9. As we remembered, we enjoyed the bustling maze of narrow streets lined with shops, restaurants and local markets. No cars, trucks or motorbikes here . . . only push carts and bicycles. If you are staying on Phi Phi someone from your hotel will load your suitcases in a wagon and literalloy push it to your place. Some hotels and bungalows are situated up a very high incline. Phi Phi is a very busy island with people coming and going from all over Thailand. Popular for diving, rock climbing and kayaking. We did a short but intense hike up a very steep climb to a spectacular viewpoint where you can see the two small island joined by an isthmas covered with beautiful sand and extrodinary rocks and palm trees in the background. I am sorry my camera just doesn't do it justice! This island was hit very badly during the tsunami but has surprisingly recovered well. There is an ecological push to keep the island as clean and green as possible considering the heavy tourist traffic. We were taken back to the western world for an afternoon here as many of the bars and and restaurants resemble what we would find at home. We had a barbecued burger that was scrumptious! Best we have tasted since we left!

We seem to be moving pretty slow lately - I think the temperature is getting hotter and hotter each day. We just can't buzz around like normal. I guess nature makes you slow down and smell the roses. So that what we are doing!!

Cheers for now!

Mallory and Warren





Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Beo Birthday PartyBeo Birthday Party
Beo Birthday Party

She is the 2nd on the left.
The King Of ThailandThe King Of Thailand
The King Of Thailand

These giant pictures are all over the country!
Riding A Scooter With An UmbrellaRiding A Scooter With An Umbrella
Riding A Scooter With An Umbrella

This must be rather difficult but must work for the local people on a hot day!
The Local Thai WhiskeyThe Local Thai Whiskey
The Local Thai Whiskey

Not bad, kind of like a spiced Rum and very cheap!!


22nd February 2011
Koh Roc National Marine Park

beautiful!
this beach is so gorgeous!!!
22nd February 2011
Another Day At The Beach!

looking fantastic mom!!!
23rd February 2011

It sounds like you are having a fabulous time. I would perish in the heat I'm sure.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb