Koh Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
October 13th 2010
Published: October 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday was a long travel day from Koh Phangnan to Koh Lanta. Our day started really early. We had arranged a ride to the ferry pier from Bottle Beach at 6am, but I think they kind-of forgot about us, so we had a late start. When there's no one in the back of the truck they can make really good time on the mountain roads. It had been raining all night and was still raining, so I think the roads were in even worse shape than the other day we went to town. We made it just in time for our ferry. The ocean was pretty rough, so the ride was a little bumpy until after the ferry left Koh Samui. We arrived at Suratthani on the mainland, then had to catch the next bus to cross the mainland. The bus was in pretty rough shape, but we decided that that meant it was reliable (fingers crossed). The trip wasn't too eventful, and we arrived at Krabi around noon. We were shuffled from the main bus terminal to a travel agents across town. She tried to convince us that most resorts were closed on Koh Lanta and we had to make reservations with her before we left. Trev called the one that we wanted to say at, and they were open AND we got a really good deal on a room. The travel agent was not impressed. Just because we're Canadian doesn't mean you can lie to us! While we were waiting for the minibus to pick us up we got to observe a really weird festival. I think its a religious festival, and it involves piercing your body with all sorts of objects. We saw people with huge swords through their cheeks, rods through a pinch of skin on the chest or back. The strangest one had to be the handlebar of a tricycle shoved through a guys cheek. We're not totally sure what it was all about, but there was lots of music and firecrackers involved. Kind-of neat to see anyhow. The minibus ride to Koh Lanta felt like a bit of a milk-run - we made lots of stops for people and stuff along the way, but we finally made it there two ferry rides later. We're staying at Nakara Long Beach Resort. We got an awesome deal because it's low season. I was particularly excited about the hot shower, Trev about the air conditioning. We set out to find a place for dinner, and it was lucky that we brought our raincoats. We ended up finding a place called Time for Lime, and had a Thai Tasting meal, where we got to try 6 different dishes. All the food was sooo good, and we were stuffed! Trev also tried a chili margarita, it was pretty good if you avoided the seeds. We're going to take a cooking class at the same restaurant in a few days.

Today we got up and the weather was pretty decent, so we rented a moto (scooter) and headed into the main town, Saladan to look around. We wandered around and ended up finding a really nice spa so we both had massages. It was so relaxing, and the owner was great to talk to. She gave us a really good map of the island, so we set out for an adventure on our moto. We went down the far side of the island to Old Town and had lunch at a little restaurant overlooking the water. We continued on and checked out the Sea Gypsy village, but there wasn't too much to see. Although, there was lots of little bungalow houses built by World Vision after the tsunami. We started heading up the view point road and stopped for a look, then the rain started. Crazy, monsoon rain. It didn't let up, so we eventually decided just to drive on. We were absolutely soaking wet! It's been a quiet evening since we got back to the hotel. More adventures to follow tomorrow, we'll upload some more pictures soon.

Love Court.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb