The Reflection


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
January 16th 2010
Published: January 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunset ViewSunset ViewSunset View

It really is as idyllic as it looks

Confirm, confirm, confirm



Tim and Sue have arrived in Thailand, which is the last country to visit in the round-the-world trip. After a pretty easy and short flight from Singapore they opted for a fairly swish airport transfer to Koh Lanta via speedboat - they have, after all, become accustomed to 'flashpacking' from time to time at this point.

It was all going well with both of them really looking forward to staying at the Narima, a secluded spot owned by a couple of Thai doctors and reputed to have excellent food. However, due to a technology failure their reservation hadn't been confirmed. Oops.

As it happens the owner was mortified and drove us around looking for somewhere else to stay - they went for the Amantra a couple of mins north on Ao Khlong Nin beach for a few nights until there was space at Narima. Settled down just in time on the beach to take in the sunset. Phew! They'd arrived, at last. Cheers!

The owner at the Narmia was very accommodating, though - they went there for dinner that evening and she picked them up, gave them a free meal and a very decent
Cheeky SueCheeky SueCheeky Sue

How happy are we that we're here?
rate on the room they decided to go for. So all's well.

South End



Now that they have arrived at the Amantra there's a great feeling of being 'on holiday' at last. A lot of time in the last six months or so has been spent on the go and doing things, whereas Thailand has been specifically set aside to unwind - this is effectively a transition, trying to make the mental shift from 'travelling' to 'taking a break' so that the return to real life wont feel like such a shock.

The Amantra is at the quiet southern end of Ao Khlong Nin - the view out to sea is very beautiful and it's fairly uncrowded. It's all really what you'd hope for in the place - nice beach to run along, warm water to swim in.

There's a lot more happening further up the beach at night, though it's bit of an adventure in the dark to get there. They end up having an accidental night out having intended to just go out for dinner.

Scene Two



After three nights at the Amantra they say goodbye to the place (and some dodgy
And That's Holding My Belly In!And That's Holding My Belly In!And That's Holding My Belly In!

Better get some running and swimming in...
grunge bar music) to relocate to the Narima. It feels like a complete change of scene, winding down even further.

The Narima is located in a secluded bay with an almost exclusive beach. It is a bit rocky - Tim nearly breaks his toe at one point - but it's just a few guests here and very idyllic. The best bit apart from the staff really is the restaurant, though - it's been mentioned in a few travel magazines and it's easy to see why. And all for the cost of a McDonalds back home!

Navel Gazing



They've extended their stay at the Narima - they've plans to go to the far more remote Koh Yao Yai later (which is supposed to be how Lanta was 5-6 years ago before Krabi airport opened, although Kho Lanta can hadly be described as being over-developed to Costa del Sol levels). Then maybe somewhere more lively before Bangkok - so that they've more time do a bit of thinking and reading. It's really chilled here and they're both taking time to reflect on and put in order (a netbook has been purchased) the experiences they've had on their trip so
Beach Night ViewBeach Night ViewBeach Night View

You can just about make out the excitement in the distance...
far and how they feel about it all. It's been a great feeling to reminsce, look through photos and some time will definitely be spent backfilling all those blog entries.

Koh Lanta is pretty popular with the Germans and Scandinavians (and their kids!), who have clearly found a cheaper alternative to Spain!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

At Last Some RestAt Last Some Rest
At Last Some Rest

Peace and quiet
That's More Like ItThat's More Like It
That's More Like It

Cats have got the right idea


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb