Something about leaving Thailand... [Krabi, Phi Phi & Lanta]


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This is going to be a mini blog. A bitesize titbit of our last days in Thailand. There are two reasons for this entry being so small. The first is because it seemed silly to mix Thailand and Malaysia but the main reason is because I’m writing about places we visited several weeks back and can barely remember where we went, let alone what we did… Still, at least you’ll be saved from the usual ramblings. Probably.

Getting to Krabi from Khao Lak was a pain, I remember that much (sorry - looks like you won’t be spared my babble after all). We waited in the baking sun for hours to catch a bus, then another bus, and then another bus. We ended up in ‘Ao Nang’ which is a fairly nice (touristy) beach area in Krabi. The following day we did absolutely nothing. We were still sunburnt from the Similan Islands so couldn’t be out in the sun without severe discomfort and reddening so just mooched about and sat in a café or two. Trouble is Ao Nang is really small and so by 4pm we were both bored out of our little, ever-shrivelling brains. We were actually desperate enough to try and visit a crazy golf course (to speed up the process) but even that was shut.

One day here was enough and so the next morning we boarded a ferry to Ko Phi Phi (pronounced Pee Pee, not Fifi, whom I miss dearly) which some of you may recognise it as one of the locations of ‘The Beach’. It was really lovely. Pricey, but lovely. Our sunburn had pretty much recovered so we figured it was time to again set ablaze our skin cells and headed to the beach (not that one, just a beach). We went the wrong way (we always go the wrong way) and Dave saw a sign to a viewpoint. Never one to miss a photo opportunity we climbed up lots and lots of steps and then more steps and then a steep incline followed by more steps. It was an amazing view as hopefully some of his pictures show. The journey down was much easier. Mainly because I had an ice-lolly in hand. And also because you get to waltz past those trudging their way up and offer inane comments such as ‘not long now - keep going!’ or ‘it’s well worth the effort!’ All in the knowledge that they’re sweaty and you’re not. You’ve made it to the top and they haven’t. You’re eating an ice-cream and ha, they’re aren’t. We did then go to a beach but the water was miles out. Karma’s a bitch.

The highlight of Ko Phi Phi for me was the fire shows we saw that evening. We were walking to a restaurant for dinner and handed a flyer for a free bucket (yes, bucket) of rum and coke which we pocketed and redeemed later (after going back to the room for Dave to change his shorts because he spilt loads of honey down him. He still smells of it now). The bar was a great place set on a beach and we spent most of the evening with a Canadian couple and our buckets. At about 11pm the fire shows started. Men took it in turns to spin the fire batons to loud music and were all amazing. Our favourite was a 16 year old who actually set himself on fire at one point. But then having swatted the flames, he just carried on! Now that’s dedication. I don’t know about you but if my trousers began to sport flames I would be scurrying into the sea as fast as my burning legs could carry me. At the end when they all lined up for applause a guy from the audience gave the scorched boy a big tip so maybe it was worth it. (Perhaps it’s even part of his act??)

The next day we went to my favourite island of them all - Ko Lanta. The ferry was a bit ropey - i.e. looked like it had already sank a couple of times, but we made it okay. Our bungalow on the island (complete with four poster bed, downstairs en-suite and open air shower) cost us £6 a night (£6! The price of one cocktail in Vodka Revolution! And our bungalow didn’t give us a headache the next day!). It was right on the beach and we spent two days just reading, relaxing, playing games and having freezing cold showers (didn’t think we’d get hot water for £6 a night did you?). We must have ventured no more than 500m from our bungalow during our stay but unlike Krabi where we got really bored in just a few hours it was lovely to sit and do absolutely nothing. There was one scary part midway through the second night as I convinced myself (and Dave) that I was trapped in the early throes of Dengue Fever but it was a short-lived affair that left me unharmed, if a little tired.

We had our last meal in Thailand on the beach while watching lanterns (like the ones in the photos) being lit and released into the big, black sky. The best ones had little fireworks that set off as they rose. We were both sad to be leaving Thailand. We’d spent 6 weeks here in total. The food, the people, the beaches, the £6 a night bungalows, they were all things we would miss. Everyone knocking Malaysia, our next destination, didn’t help either. When asked where we were next heading, as we often were, the answer ‘Malaysia’ would invariably be met with an ‘oh, right, hmmmm’ followed by a pause while they tried to think of something positive to say about the country, finally settling for ‘yes, Malaysia, sure, Malaysia’s okay. So then where are you heading?’

Dave will tell you about Malaysia. It isn’t so bad you know. The journey to get there - you’ll never guess - was lengthy. As will be my recounting of it. I know you probably don’t care that much about how we got from Ko Lanta in Thailand to Georgetown in Malaysia but tough, this is my blog and I’m darned well gonna tell you about it! We got up at 6am and arrived in Georgetown at nearly 9pm. During this time we travelled in 3 minivans and 2 ferries. We didn’t want to be left with any Thai currency upon arriving in Malaysia and so didn’t have enough money for lunch. Instead we snacked on mini pringles and choco pies while sitting at a squalid travel agent. Dave spent a lot of the time shooting his rucksack sympathetic and soothing glances - the boot had swung open during one of the minivan journeys and his bag had been the (only!) one that flung out the back and hit the road. Thankfully no cars were behind us to run it over. Not that it would’ve made those choco pies any more inedible. We arrived in Georgetown, Malaysia, first found a room and then something even more exciting - here, you can put toilet paper in the toilet. Hurrah!

More soon,

Helen and Dave xxx

(Dave) P.S. Because this blog was going to be so short, I spent some time thinking of things Helen could include. She didn’t bother though. So, to summarise, some lizards jumped on me, a bunch of ants bit me and a dog ran away with a shoe.

Hmmm… sounds like a poem…

(Helen) P.P.S Now you know why I didn’t include them. And why Dave doesn’t write poetry.

In reply to comments…

Jay - I can wholeheartedly assure you that we are not, in any way, shape or form, missing the Great British weather. Although I suppose a snowflake or two wouldn’t go amiss but you can keep the cold, rain, wind, frost, sleet… Glad you like the monkey pictures. You’ll be pleased to hear that the next entry will have a monkey photo. A pretty good one too : )

Cat - India for Christmas and New Year? That doesn’t sound sooo bad!! The time is flying by for us too - I think it’s actually three months now. We will definitely have a pie or 4 on your behalf in Oz - any preference of filling? Hope the weather isn’t affecting your rowing regime too much.

Sis - I thought of you when we saw the little nemo fish! I wanted to bring you one home but they were too hard to catch. Good that you eventually got the postcard - I bought in Vietnam, wrote it in Bangkok and sent it from Samui! A long process. Lots of love to you too.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb