Travels in Thailand (Golden Triangle)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand » Chiang Saen
April 30th 2010
Published: April 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We made it to the northernmost part of Thailand to the section known as the Golden Triangle. Here, we visited Lampang which is famous for its narrow streets and horse drawn carriages. We also visited Chaing Saen which is situated on the border with Laos. In Chiang Saen, we visited the Opium Museum which is an interesting place and contains a wealth of information on opium. Inside are numerous opium pipes and scales as well as information about the history of the narcotic. We had lunch at a restaurant that I didn't expect to find in this area. It reminded me of a really nice Asian restaurant back in the states. It was situated so that one had an excellent view of the area and could see where the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Burma converge.

After lunch we boarded a boat and took a trip across the Mekong River to Laos. The place we visited was a small villege that catered only to the tourist trade. There were tables with various goods and the ground was muddy with small children begging from the visitors. However, the beer was cold and the day was quite warm so I found a place to sit while the others bartered for cheap goods to take back home. A couple of hours later, we headed back across the Mekong to Thailand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb