The Temples of Sukothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
November 28th 2007
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a brief stop pff in Chiang Mai after Pai we were back on the road bound for Sukothai - the ancient capital of Thailand.

Sukothai is set in the central plains of the country and is home to a huge, ancient temple complex - a bit like Angkor in Cambodia. Buy a ticket and you can wander for hours through amazing gardens surrounding gigantic stone Buddha statues and beautiful towering temples. We did just that!

Sukothai is also the place to be for the annual Loi Krathong festival (that we spent in Pai - see last blog) - but we arrived just after it had finished. Consequently we were amazed at how relaxed and peaceful it was. Several times we found ourselves to be the only visible people (other than Buddha, obviously) - which made it a stark contrast to the temples of Angkor, where not only are there lots of tourists but also lots of people selling you all sorts of tat.

After a day of wandering around temples I revealed to Kate that I was "Buddha-ed out". A symptom we are well familar with these days. So we decided to move on for a quick stop off in Ayutthya...before our final trip to Bangkok...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A giant floating Krathong A giant floating Krathong
A giant floating Krathong

Sukothai's the place to be to celebrate Loi Krathong. e wer in Pai, alas.
What a lovely name for a restaurantWhat a lovely name for a restaurant
What a lovely name for a restaurant

"Poo" means "crab" actually. I'm just childish.
Thai delivery driverThai delivery driver
Thai delivery driver

Stick a wheelbarrow on the front of your moped - hey presto! It's like a little van-thing.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb