Serene Soppong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Soppong
May 10th 2009
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Located around 77 km, between Pai and Mae Hong Son and a 1.5 half hour bus ride around agonising curves my parents, Lou and I arrived in Soppong, Pang Mapha district. It was my pre-birthday celebration weekend with everyone including 3 Thai friends and Claire from Chiang Mai. We spent 2 nights amidst nature at the famous Cave Lodge, set on a secluded forested hillside, 700 metres above sea level overlooking the Lang River.

Soppong itself is a small, traditional market village renown for its caves, scenery, trekking, kayaking, rafting, hill tribe villages and tranquility. Visited by very few tourists the residents are primarily Shan, Lisu, Lahu, Karen and Hmong. The most famous attraction is the Tham Lod river cave system. A brook runs from the cave mouth to the other side of the mountain and it was once a dwelling place for prehistoric man where 2,000 year old remains of utensils and coffins can be found. The 1km long cave can be explored by raft and foot to see the stalactites and stalagmites.

On the night we arrived I went with my Thai friends to see the swifts and bats changing for the evening from the cave opening - the bats coming out and swifts retiring for the night, it’s amazing how nature works in sync. The next day Claire, Lou and I hired a raft and guide to take us through Tham Lod and besides the pungent smell from the bats it was a pretty impressive cave especially in terms of its size.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



3rd April 2011
Stalactites

great ;-)

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb