Chang Rai, Mae Sai visa run and arrival in Pai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
July 22nd 2010
Published: July 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Laugh-a-lot BurgeLaugh-a-lot BurgeLaugh-a-lot Burge

Entertainment for the whole family
The last few days have flown by and what I thought was a few days was actually closer to two weeks.

Lisa and I spent way too long in Chang Mai waiting for my Chinese visa to come through from the consulate. While we waited we did manage to do some coool things like visit the zoo, (first time experiences of pandas, hippos, lion) walk the nigt bazaar, catch a movie and visit some other touristy sights.
We chilled out and caught up on some sleep but the Thai food here has seriously let us down and it got to the stage where we depressed by the fare on offer.
We had planned our CM trip to make sure we included the Sunday Walking Street market and this was Chang Mai's only redeeming quality. It was just as amazing the second time around and we managed to pick up some souvenirs along the way. The abundant street food was delectible and I made up for a week's worth of ordinary meals by sampling most of what was on offer.

Monday morning I dashed to the consulate first thing to collect my awaiting visa and we were on the 11.30am bus to Chang Rai. This bus trip will be one for the record books. More like riding in the back of the ute than a bus ride. We were jilted and jolted for 3.5hours and when the bus finally came to a halt we kissed the ground for making it there alive and in one piece. Ha- you think i'm exaggerating but i'm not.

We beelined for a Lonely Planet suggested guest house however, upon a room inspection the beg bugs were almost visable through the yellowed, torn mattresses and blood spattered, filthy walls. Lisa communicated her best, "there's no way in hell am I staying here eyes" just as i peered into the shared bathroom which LP described as "spotless". We did our best not to knock the "massage girls" over as we ran down the street hoping we hadn't caught anything contagous.

We ony had to walk a few metres before we stumbled across the best accomodation on our trip thus far. Funny how things change so quickly. Orchid guest house was clean, clean, clean and for 300b we even had the luxury of a TV and free water, tea, coffee and internet.

We hung out in Chang Rai from Monday until Wednesday afternoon and we did manage to cram alot in. Here are some of the events: The nightly night market sold great noodles and passionfruit shakes
Rediscovering Swensen's Icecream- 39b per scoop- a slice of heaven in a cone
Local bus ride to Mae Sai where lisa went off for 1hr 10 minutes and in that time managed to leave the country and re-enter on a new visa, pick up a double cd for $2.10AUD and I enjoyed a red fanta out of a dirty, reused coke bottle while the shop owners nodded their approval at me being there and beamed glorious smiles
Booked my Intrepid Africa trip (departing 28th Sep)
Chatted (translated by tour Guide Tom) to the friendliest monk I've ever met who gifted us with braclets by dropping them into our hands and blessing us with a bucket load of water (seriously i was saturated).
Visited Long Neck village- still feeling confused about how I feel visiting this village. The women wear copper coils around their necks and ankles. These coils do inhibit and place restrictions on their daily life. I can't decide if visiting encourages the continuation of a cultural tradition that would happen anyway or if tourist dollars ultimately force young girls into an outdated custom and make a mockery of village elders who deserve more respect than a never ending snake of smiling whitefellas qawking at their homes and people.
Meeting a rather vauge local who chimed, 'goodmorning' at 9pm, offered 500b ($20US) tattoos and sat in his corner shop all day watching the world go by sipping down cans of Chang beer.


Like I said we left Chang Rai on Wednesday afternoon and caught the local bus back to Chang Mai. For some reason it wasn't quite as bumpy this time- or maybe we just knew what to expect. We had been back in Chang Mai all of 5 minutes when it began to rain. Luckily we had phoned from the CR bus station and made reservations at our home away from home- Kristi guest house. Not thrilled at being back in CM we did manage to make the most of it. The next morning we feasted on Vegemite toast and Milo before getting in our mini van bound for Pai. We had long been anticipating our advenutres in Pai and upon arrival it
Smiles awaySmiles awaySmiles away

Still feeling confused as to how I feel about this cultural tradition.
took all of 30 seconds to see that we would not be disappointed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Food for thoughtFood for thought
Food for thought

Where were they keeping all the decent food?
Lions and tigers and bearLions and tigers and bear
Lions and tigers and bear

All true, we saw it, we sang it, Lia was ready to kthrottle me by the end if it.


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb