Mae Hong Son and a little bit more Pai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Hong Son
June 27th 2012
Published: June 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jordan and I decided to leave Pai on Sat 23rd, Jed and Hailey came with us and we travelled to Mae Hong Son, from here you can do a loop via another small town and back to Chiang Mai. The bus journey was probably the best bit of the trip. It takes 3(ish) hours over the mountains and us being tight wads braved the local bus as it was half the price of the minibus.

When the bus arrived at Pai we immediately regretted our decison as it looked a right mess but as it turned out it was ok for space and as all the windows were down it was quite fresh and not to hot on there! The bus goes up and down the steep mountains so slowly you think it might just konk out altogether. We passed an overturned lorry which as had obviously misjudged a corner and had tipped straight over on to its side!

When we arrived at Mae Hong Son we spent ages looking for accommodation but everywhere was really expensive. In Pai you could get a bunglow with a fan in for 150bht but here the same money got you a matress on the floor of a shady looking hut and a filthy shared bathroom. We ended up in very basic rooms and left in search of food a bit disheartened!

We had a nice enough meal and some drinks in a bar/restaurant sat there for a couple of hours while it tipped it down then moved to another bar/restaurant ate another whole meal then went to bed haha! The only nice thing about Mae Hong Son really is the Lake built in the middle on to which most of the GHs look on to. At night the temple is lit up and it looks quite pretty. We left the next morning and were planning on doing the loop back to Chiang Mai however the next place on from this was described as a very quiet and small. As England were playing Italy in the Euros that night we decided to keep the boys happy and head back to Pai!

Back in Pai we paid to use one of the hotel's pools and ended up having a really nice day and evening sipping Rum and Coke and watching the footie! We were too tired to travel the next day as the match went on till 5 so we ended up having another day there not doing much before moving onto Chiang Rai!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Dinner Take 2Dinner Take 2
Dinner Take 2

The lights in the background are the reflection of the temple on the lake!
Bedtime!Bedtime!
Bedtime!

Hiding from the cockroach Jordan just found!


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb