Project Rakchuay (Love Help) - Thailand, Chiang Mai (10 - 20 July 2005)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Hong Son
July 10th 2005
Published: April 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 (10th July 2005)


If there was something for me to acclaim about during my 4 years in University, it has to be my minor contribution in 2 overseas community service projects in Thailand. I am privileged to be given the opportunity to serve the community twice in Dec 2004 and the more recent Project Rakchuay aka Love Help in July 2005 .

16 of us were into this expedition - 5 guys and 11 gals to make some improvements for the drainage systems for the Karen Hill Tribe in Mae Wang, Chiang Mai. Preparation for the expedition started early in March 2005 to raise funds for the project involving the sale of T-shirts, newspaper collecting at AMK and car washing at Bedok Central.

Months of preparation brought us to the afternoon of 10th July 2005 where 6 of us who were the advanced party set off earlier than the rest. The rest of the team was to join us the following day in 11th July 2005.

Our Tiger Airways flight to Chiang Mai lasted slightly over 3 hours to bring us to the 2nd largest city of Thailand. Just a year ago, there were no direct budget connections between Singapore and Chiang Mai. We had to stop by at Bangkok Airport and continue our overnight train journey to Chiang Mai via the 12 hour north bound train (It was a nice experience too!).

Chiang Mai Airport is located 3km to the west of the city and its light blue decor reminded me of a polyclinic. While queuing to clear the Thai customs, I was lamenting to D that the whole wait brought back memories of queuing for registration at AMK polyclinic. At the airport, posters of the 2 pandas - Chuan Chuan and Lin Hui were everywhere in the arrival hall and yes, we would be making a trip to visit them the next day while waiting for the rest of the team to arrive.

Our accommodation for the night is located in the heart of Chiang Mai City, CM Bluehouse manned by the friendly Khun Jimmy. It is a basic guesthouse that is affordable and comfortable even though the summer heat is kind of unbearable.

After a quick rest, we took a red Song Tak to Tesco Hypermarket to load up provisions which we would be bringing to the village in Day 3. Of course, no visit to Thailand would be complete without browsing through the colorful nite markets. We did embark on our shopping spree during Day 1 of our campaign!

We did lost our way to CM Bluehouse as we were not very familiar with the locality. We stepped into an internet café and the owner was helpful to bring me on his bike to where our guesthouse was. It was a fun ride even though I was supposed to remember the route in order to bring the rest of the team back safely.

Of course, I didn’t disappoint 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Wat Chiang MaiWat Chiang Mai
Wat Chiang Mai

The first temple in Chiang Mai
Song Tak - the Red Taxi in Chiang MaiSong Tak - the Red Taxi in Chiang Mai
Song Tak - the Red Taxi in Chiang Mai

Seats 12 people. There are no public buses in Chiang Mai. The locals rely on the numerous Song Taks that ply the streets. Short distance within the city is at a flat 10 Baht
CM BluehouseCM Bluehouse
CM Bluehouse

It's really blue except for the pink bedsheets
CM BluehouseCM Bluehouse
CM Bluehouse

Why pinky bedsheets?
Chuan Chuan & Lin Hui @ Chiang Mai ZooChuan Chuan & Lin Hui @ Chiang Mai Zoo
Chuan Chuan & Lin Hui @ Chiang Mai Zoo

Relax... we are visiting you 2mrw ok!


Tot: 0.515s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 52; dbt: 0.4289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb