Elephantantastic motorcycling


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Lampang
February 13th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Elephant Conservation Centre - Lampang

So...depending on whether you're talking to me or Chris, our views will differ on our highlights of the day. For Chris, the motorbike won - we rented a Phantom and rode that down to Lampang. They're supposed to be comfy, but I ended the journey with a numb bum and tingling everywhere from the bike vibrations! For me, the elephants won!!!

We zoomed down the "freeway" and actually found our way without any problems. Entrance fee was 160B for both of us and motorbike hire was 650B, petrol was 200B. Yes, you do the maths - we saved loads by not going with a travel agent - what a surprise!

First, we watched the elephants bath which was spectacular. Watching the mahouts (guider of the elephant) with the elephants was magical. The elephants sprayed themselves with the water and eventually submerged themselves in the lake just leaving the mahout on the surface of the water. The water really cooled the elephants down, preparing them for their show which thankfully in my opinion was not cruel.

The elephants bowed when being introduced. They demonstrated how the mahout got on and off the elephant, then they did some log hauling as a lot of the elephants were retired loggers as this was banned in Thailand in the 90s. The conservation centre looks after these elephants as well as those who have been mistreated or neglected. The elephants also danced to music with their heads and painted some pretty amazing pictures. Afterwards we went to the elephant hospital - it had a white board of the elephants who had been taken in, these included those with lameness, neglect wounds and pregnancy. However, the main hospital was down the road - called Fai's Hospital.

The journey back from Lampang was fast until we got a bit lost outside of Chiang Mai. In true Thai style we went the wrong was down a one-way road and arrived safe and sound at Tony's.

Showered and refreshed, we met for a hill-tribe trek brief. Ray was to be our guide, he gave us a list of what we needed to bring and what we would be doing.

We had dinner at a place that advertised chocolate cake, then we took a red van (the sawngthaew) to the night market. This was so much fun - it was all about bartering and bargains! There were hundreds and hundreds of stalls selling variations of the same things. Our little walk turned into quite an expensive walk Our first purchase was a Jesus top for Chirs who got quite badly sun burnt on his arms whilst on the motorbike. This started at 750B and we ended up getting it for 200B! Next was a Diesel watch, genuine of course!!! :P which went from 550B down to 250B. I got an elephant fan 60B down from 120B and a sarong for the beaches we will be going to in the next few weeks which was 150B down from 250B. It was such fun bartering all these people down. Those who wouldn't budge on price wouldn't get a sale simple!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb