Chiang Rai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
January 17th 2014
Published: January 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So, Chiang Rai. A new city for us to explore! We were dropped by the taxi at Lek House our guesthouse for the next few days and then off to explore. Chiang Rai is smaller than Chiang Mai. The streets in the centre fanning out from a beautiful clock which at 9 every evening had a light show with music. There were also some very beautiful Christmas decorations and quite tasteful. After settling in we were off to explore. We visited the small, but very interesting, Hill Tribe Museum a beautiful flower garden and found The Lounge Bar recommended by Ben in Chiang Mai. It was owned by his friends Brit, Bob and his wife Thai, Jack. We were told by Ben we must try the green curry which comes highly rated as five stars on trip advisor. So along we went that evening. We had one green and one masaman curry. Now we have eaten our fair share of Thai curries since arriving in the country and we didn't rate the green as the best we have had but the masaman was delicious. I will come back to curries later on as to my out and out winner of THE BEST curry!

Next morning we had a guided tour, which we had arranged with the Hill Tribe Museum the day before. Steve and I are both very cynical when it comes to arranged tours and excursions but this was a good one as the museum are all about education as far as the tribes people and protecting their unique ways of life. Our guide Gin (yes like the drink) was very well informed, not only about the villages, and villagers we met, but also local plants and their uses. Now most of you will know how Steve and I feel about the plight of the elephant in Thailand. Well the only part of the morning that was very disturbing for us was when we visited an elephant camp owned by the Luha tribe. The elephants are used to give tourists rides. They stand, every day, for 13 hours on a short chain with the seat on their back waiting for their turn to plod around a 30 minutes or 2 hour circuit. They get one day off a year which is Elephant Day! We saw two of the mahouts with the hook. A piece of wood with a steel pointed hook in the end which they hit the elephant at the side of the head with to direct it! The difficulty being, this is the Lahus livelihood! As Gin said. If they weren't there giving rides they may well take them to Bangkok where they will work on the streets in tourism. I dilemma I know but difficult for us to look into the dead eyes of those elephants!

There where two other events whilst in Chiang Rai. At this point we had been away over two months and my hair was not looking it's best. I decided to get it cut. Quite an experience. When I think how I fuss when I have it cut in the U K. Explaining exactly how long the fringe should be, the back, the sides, in detail before a pair of scissors comes near it. Well this was quite a different but liberating experience. This is how it went. Found a hairdressers. Looked ok. Went in. Young stylist didnt speak English. I didn't speak any Thai relevant to hair. Did a lot of pointing. Agreed a price. Had it cut. All for the princely sum of BHT 200 or £4! One of the best hair cuts I have ever had. I was thrilled!

The second was Steve and I both thought it was about time we had another massage. We had THE BEST Thai oil massage we have ever had, and we've had a few! An hour of absolute heaven, BHT 350, £7. Beautiful scented oil. We were given tea first and our feet washed. Tea after as well. We are going to miss Thai masseurs so much. There aren't photos but Steve in the disposable knickers. 😊 .

Our last day was spent visiting two diverse 'temples'! The first being Wat Rong Khun, The White Temple. A most amazing place. Not strictly a temple but the ideas of an artist. The main temple is in the classic temple shape, is brilliant white and covered in small mirror tiles which reflect the light. Much of the temple’s messages refer to escaping desire, greed and passion and moving towards the sublime through Buddhist teachings. To reach the main temple hall, you cross a threshold guarded by demons and traverse a bridge over an ocean of ghostly hands reaching up from the cycle of death and rebirth. The temple building symbolizes the realm of the Buddha and rising to a state of nirvana. The main temples message is depicted through the paintings on the wall Which are modern and amazing. Look at the link. A towering demon rises above you wielding a sword. Hands reach out from the depths below you on a bridge to a heavenly temple. Shrunken heads sprouting Spanish moss hang from tree branches. Thai angels and mystical creatures cavort through the temple grounds and on the masterpiece sanctuary at the temple’s heart. Well worth a visit http://www.travelphotoreport.com/2013/01/11/strange-interior-white-temple-chiang-rai/.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb