Day #155: The White Temple


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
September 5th 2013
Published: September 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Around 13km from Chiang Rai is a modern temple, Wat Rong Khun, known locally as "The White Temple". The cycle there was uninteresting, along the Superhighway, but the temple was well worth the effort, one of the most extraordinary pieces of architecture I have ever seen. The photographs do not do it justice as it is covered with tiny pieces of mirror, so the whole structure glitters in the sun and looks very surreal.

Walking across the bridge into the temple you pass hundreds of sculptured hands rising out of the ground, supposedly symbolising want, and a mythological-looking protector. Inside the temple is painted with strange murals featuring contemporary people. The area around the temple is also interesting for cycling as it took me through coffee plantations, most of which have a small coffee shop attached so you can sample the very fresh coffee. Here most of the population are farmers and this part of Thailand feels very far removed from the big cities with most people living in simple wooden huts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb