The Golden triangle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
June 13th 2009
Published: June 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We spent only two nights in Chiang Rai, after spending so long in Chiang Mai we were keen to push on a little and we were eager to get into Laos.

So, we made the most of our time here and did a day trip out to the Golden Triangle which Ste especially wanted to do and as timing had it, it was on his birthday. The golden Triangle is more an area than a place, and in years gone by majority of the opium trade originated here, but now there are more tourists than there is opium, well, on the Thai side of the triangle anyway. We took a day tour with several stops, the first of which was to the monkey caves. This was in a Buddha temple complex, there were dozens of monkeys all running around freely as we walked the few metres to the bottom of the steps, and they are not as cute as they first appear especially when they start hissing and grappling for your legs. And so up to the cave we went, after climbing what seemed like 5000 steps and producing enough sweat to fill a small swimming pool (in reality it was only about 200 steps!) We came to a cave with a Buddha shrine in which was lovely but no monkeys; the little buggers were all down at the bottom by the river chilling out.

Our next stop over lunch was to Mae Sai, the northern most part of Thailand, and a border town connecting with Burma. We could have gone across to Burma, but for only two hours was it worth it? We decided not, So we had a spot to eat and a strolled round the market, in fairly good humour until some Thai man tried to take Ste's bag. But we had our wits about us and just as he was moving in for the kill ste turned on him. Busted!

We had had rain showers on and off all day, but just as we got to the golden Triangle (a viewpoint where Burma, Laos and Thailand meet) the heavens really opened. Experience has told us that these showers never last too long so we waited it out then when the rain eased we legged it and like tourists on speed took as many pictures as possible in a five minute time frame. Success! We have the pictures we wanted.

And then it was back to Chiang Rai. We ate at the local night market for the second night in a row, the food was so good and for a euro each we got dinner and a beer, you can’t go wrong really. We then found a cool little bar near to our guesthouse to enjoy a few birthday drinks, and with free pool, connect 4 and the chilli peppers live at Slane castle on the big screen we were sorted for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Thai/Burma BorderThai/Burma Border
Thai/Burma Border

The most Northern Point of Thailand


18th June 2009

Can't believe it
U had 'a spot' to eat? How could u? Someone is missing their pet dog now.

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb