Wat Rong Khon


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
January 23rd 2008
Published: January 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have heard from a lot of people that if you have seen one Wat you have seen them all. Which we can understand after coming from Chiang Mai, Wat hopping just becomes a little monotonous. They start out being something different from the other things you have seen and at the end of it all you wonder whats so special about the Wat you are looking at now.

Well if you are feeling a bit of Wat burnout and want to be fascinated by something new, head to Chiang Rai. We only spent 1 night here for the sole reason of seeing Wat Rong Khon. This particular Wat was not in our guidebook, and not in many of the other guide books that we happen to glance at. I chanced upon it while reading a fellow blogger's blog and said I had to see this one Wat.

Within the temple is a mural which contained a demon. One specific detail that one may not notice unless you were scrutinizing the peice is that within the pupils of the demons are two faces, George W. Bush on the right eye and Osama Bin Laden on the Left. The rest of the mural is a mix of contemporary pop culture, Neo from the Matrix, Battle droids from Star Wars, Im pretty sure I saw the preditor, and other things that I may not have seen or noticed.

This Wat lies about 15 km outside of the town center, so one could not walk to it on their own. Maybe you could if you liked walking that much. But if you want to do it on your own its pretty straight foward.

1) head over to the bus stop, since this seems to be the place where the Tuk tuks and the pickup taxis seem to congregate.
2) Pick one.
3) Agree on a price. The tuktuk that we took had a list of prices for touristy places and we didnt feel the need to bargain down the price. The listed price was 300 Baht.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Middle fingerMiddle finger
Middle finger

you see it? How religious
More handsMore hands
More hands

with nail polish this time


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb