Thailand. A new adventure. Day 8. January 1, 2008


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
January 4th 2008
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday. January 1. Day 8. Lampang to the Golden Triangle to Chiang Rai.
We're there in no Thai’m at all.
On the way to Phayao Province, we stop at a pineapple farm where we are graciously allowed entrance into a farmer's home. Rickety steps lead to a long room devoid of furniture save for a television and a very old singer sewing machine. The only separate room houses mats surrounded by mosquito netting. We continue to travel to the lakeside town of Phayoao, where several in the group indulge in eating tiny live--and still jumping--shrimp. I do not.
Another day another country
Then onto the Golden Triangle where the borders of Thailand, Myanmar (Burma), and Laos meet. After lunch at Chian Saen, we hop in a boat and ride across the Mekong River to Donsao, Laos where we visit another market. It isn't really a town as much as a settlement. The main product seems to be cobra whiskey, bottles of which do indeed contain snakes. I can't imagine taking that back in my luggage although it might have been a talking point back in the U.S.
A peak at yet another country
From Chian Saen we drove to the northern
Pineapple Farmer's homePineapple Farmer's homePineapple Farmer's home

Old Singer sewing machine in the corner was one of the few possessions in this house besides lots of photos of the royal family.
most part of Thailand where we watch as Thais return from Burma and Burmese cross back into Myanmar in the last few minutes before the border closes at 6 pm. We drive on to Chang Rai to the Rimkok Resort, a sprawling four-story hotel situated on gorgeous grounds. That evening I copy my photos to cds and am thrilled that my brand-new camera is functioning just fine.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dragons overlook a lily pond.Dragons overlook a lily pond.
Dragons overlook a lily pond.

Outside a restaurant in the lakeside town of Phayoao.
Little boy in tribal dressLittle boy in tribal dress
Little boy in tribal dress

In the Golden Triangle where Thailand, Laos, and Burma meet.
Home in back of market.Home in back of market.
Home in back of market.

We took a boat to Donsao, Laos so we could say we'd been there.


4th January 2008

Happy New Year!
It is so wonderful to hear the excitement in your words. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the pics, especially the one of you on the elephant. It will certainly add to the enchantment of your office. Thanks for the vicarious thrill of travels in Thailand. M

Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb