Doesn't time fly. We are now in Chiang Mai!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 12th 2006
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

???????? In Chiang Mai???????? In Chiang Mai???????? In Chiang Mai

This was a really old ??????????
So after a long bus ride, with only 2, 5 minute stops! we arrived in Chiang Mai. We got a tuk tuk just as it started to chuck it down.
We checked out 2 guest houses and got booked in a nice one with friendly staff, called Bow Chiang Mai. After settling in we ventured out for some dinner as we were starving!
We stayed out for a while, Andy rung home and then it was bed time.

The next day we were up reasonably early, which makes a change, and after breakfast we set to walking the streets to check out our new destination.
Chiang Mai is surrounded by a moat and the remains of a wall. So first off we walked in a square and to a non-profit shop selling crafts from the nearby hill tribes, we bought a couple of little bits and then carried on in the boiling heat.
We spent most of the afternoon looking for a shopping centre (for me, Mel) but didn't come across it. After hours of walking we headed back for a cold shower.
That night we went to the Night Bazzar. This market is massive and full of tourists and
A really fancy and gold ????????A really fancy and gold ????????A really fancy and gold ????????

Really fancy and gold.
holiday makers, as is Chiang Mai.
We walked the many streets, didn't buy anything, got stressed with some of the sellers had dinner whilst it rained.
At about 9.30pm when our legs couldn't take anymore walking we went back to crash in our room.

Today after breakfast we were on a mission to book a tour for tomorrow. See, everyone come to Chiang Mai to go on 2 and 3 day treks in the jungle and to hill tribes. We felt that we had walked through enough jungles and forests, however before we came away I really wanted to visit hill tribes, luckily enough you can do it on a day trip. Unfortunately because these tours are so popular the villages aren't as genuine as perhaps others we have seen. I believe that they are real only difference is that they are still wearing traditional clothing that they perhaps wouldn't still do if there weren't tourists going there. But we are still going to go, but with the knowledge that it's going to be touristy. We have looked at doing it yourself, but it's not really possible.
So with map and address we went to the guesthouse that had a good reputation for treking and some of the money goes back to the village. We arrived at where the place should be, but it most definitley was not there.
From here we went to another market, had a look around then our next task was to find another travel agenets that organises week long stays at an elephant sanctuary and you get to help look after them.
We did find this place, but for the start on Monday it was all booked up. Gutted, we couldn't afford to wait around a week. They did do 2 day and 1 night stays which would be available for tomorrow. we decided in the end to go for just the day as there wasn't much difference in what you do between the 2 days and 1 day, but both were expensive. Anyway we are going tomorrow and I am so excited!!!!!!
We are now on the internet, updating our blogs.

On our way around town today, we stumbled upon a couple more temples which we dragged ourselves into the grounds to look at. They were again nice to look at (yes Rodney I wrote that bit).


We have found ourselves to be really slowing down now, we are trying to keep busy and are still enjoying our travels, but we can now see the end. WHICH IS BOTH VERY SAD AND VERY EXCITING.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The witch!!!The witch!!!
The witch!!!

But can you tell which witch is which???
The old city moat.The old city moat.
The old city moat.

Yes there are fish in there, but I don't think I can fish it.
Waiting to see if she is still aliveWaiting to see if she is still alive
Waiting to see if she is still alive

Some students were testing peoples blood pressure. We weren't sure if it could be a scam!!! How bad are we?


15th August 2006

I Dunno
I don't know, you've got me beat, Which Witch is Which. Great to talk to you yesterday. see you real soon Love Dad and Anna
19th August 2006

Hi Witch!
Glad being back in Thailand is fun!! Only 2 weeks left until we see you! Have a fab time and look forward to hearing all about it! Love Gaz, Caz and bump xxx
27th August 2006

Loved your journey!
Hya guys, Have really enjoyed your travels, thanks so much for sharing it with us. We are still on a journey ourselves and are enjoying every bit of it. Stay safe and well, and keep in touch! lots of love.xxxx

Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 30; qc: 130; dbt: 0.2626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb