Chiang Mai, Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 5th 2013
Published: February 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Dear Grace & Mag,

Chiang Mai I found really good (surprise surprise) haha. There's so much to do up there. The bus journey wasn't fun though - 10 hours overnight which is do-able until they go overboard with the A/C which was blowing right on me and the motorways were quite bumpy at times so a maxium of 10 minutes was had there. When me and Kirsten arrived in Chiang Mai all the shutters were down on all the hostels so we just had a really early breakfast and waited for them to open (8/9am). We found one to stay at on the corner of the street which wasn't very nice - really basic but had what we needed so we ended up staying there for 3 nights. It was just easier to keep our stuff locked in one place. It's about 2/3 quid per night! Woohoo - got to stick to the ol' budget!

After a little nap (was actually quite a big nap) we met Aiden (Kirsten's friend from their home in Canada). We had lunch, wondered around the place and went for a thai massage. The roads are all filled with cafes and hostels and are mostly in square patterns so it's quite easy to find your way around. The massage was really good but I can safely say that you wouldn't have liked it Mag and Grace you wouldhave loved it! At first it felt like 'going on a treasure hunt!' haha It was really relaxing for the most part then they lock your arms in one place and twist you round - I think trying to crack you back. Was good though. After that we met Matt and Claire for dinner, drinks and a lot of games of pool. Was a really good night. The games got everyone involved which was perfect. We (Kirten, Aiden. Matt, Claire and I) found a marke before we ate by accident and in the square they had a little dance show going on. The girls look so cute with all their outfits and make-up on.

The next day was a busy day! In the morning Kirsten, Aiden and I went to a cooking class. Got taken to a local market first to get ingredients, then step by step told how to do 3 different dishes and made our own curry paste. We got a whole booklet of a lots of simple dishes so when I get home I will work on ticking them all off. 3 dishes down about 53 to go!! After we went to a shooting range with real guns - ahh scary! I watched as I'd done a similar thing before. Sat the with massive sound-blocking head phones on! Looked good! 😊 Later that evening went to a night bizarre which was good then a storn came and we got massively caught in the rain. An umbrella might not have even been much help it was so heavy. Was walking through the roads which after a few minutes were up to our ankles in water. Was quite funny really. We were on our way to a Muay Thai boxing match so sat through the whole thing soaked! I reall enjoyed it a lot more than I thought! They had kids, womens, drunken-blindfolded matches and normal championship matches.

The nex day was a bit more chilled which was good - went up the mountain to a little village called Doi Suthep. The temple up there was cool with a great view of the whole of Chiang Mai. Took a long walk down half the mountain with Matt and Claire but after getting a couple of blisters thought we should hop in a taxi the rest of the way. I went to meet Kirsten and Aiden by a pool at a nice hotel for a couple of hours then had a chilled early night - much needed sleep was had! Yay!

The next Matt and Claire were going to an elephant sanctuary and the three remaining got on a bus for 3 hours and headed for a village called Pai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



6th February 2013

Well done!
Jess, it is lovely following you on your journey, you seem to be having a great time, as we knew you would. Take care though Jess and make the most of it all. Lots of love Lena
13th February 2014

Simple Life
It's obvious that you'll livin happily here in Thailand. - Dave of Hotel Chiang Mai

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb