Day 60 - 78: Chiang Mai & Pai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 27th 2012
Published: August 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After having spent the last few days touring around the historical and archaeological parts of Thailand we ventured to the North where we had heard Chang Mai had many thrills and adventures on offer.

We spent our first night drinking Sangsom (Thai Rum) and dancing to some great ska and reggae cover bands but paid the price the next day when we were all feeling rather special. However, we needed a day of rest to plan our days ahead which were to include ziplining through jungles, helping care for elephants and sight-seeing through the old Northern Kingdom.

Our first day of adventure began by travelling deep into the mountainous northern jungle. On arrival we were greeted by our guides and then prepared for our forthcoming flight over the trees, villages and waterfalls. We flew across ziplines as long as 100m, abseiled down 50m, skateboarded across the jungle and climbed ladders into the sky. It has so far proven to be one of our most exhiliarating days.

Our second day consisted of helping in an elephant sanctuary of old or mistreated elephants. We came face to face with elephants of all ages and sizes and got the excitement of feeding and bathing them.

After several more days and a lot of money spent we decided to head to the chilled town of Pai. Pai is a small village with a proportionate population of Westerners to Thais making up a small yet diverse community. As a result it was one of the friendliest and most relaxed places we visited and so we spent our last 2 weeks in Thailand here listening to the range of live music on offer, touring round on mopeds visiting waterfalls, canyons, fishing parks (where we caught piranhas, carp and catfish) and enjoying the awesome mountain views.

With our Thai visas on the brink of expiration and with the exciting new arrival of Mark Hartwell we headed to the far Northern Thai/Lao border and embarked on a two day slow-boat journey down the Mekong River to Luang Prabang.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb