Chiang Mai - Part 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 6th 2011
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yogi Mahout


We decided spend a day learning how to ride elephants, which was as it turned out an excellent thing to do (even though it was pricey!). We met our group and started by spending 10mins sat on an exercise ball which was supposed to simulate riding an elephant, it didn't do a very good job.

We then set off into the hills to meet our elephant!! The first animal we met though was a very cute puppy that loved to eat bananas! We started the day by introducing ourselves to the elephants by feeding them bananas to get on their good side. We first learnt how to ride them by practicing on a 3yr old, he then got his own back by giving us an elephant massage. For those who are interested or who find themselves on board a riderless elephant here are the basic commands: Bai = forward; Toy = backwards / back away from the cliff!; Pe = turn, with an ear nudge; and last but not least, How = stop. (Spelling according to Will and Tory)

Then onto our big elephant! Will on the head and Tory sat on the spine, for an hour although she couldn't feel her ass after 5mins. We had bags of sugar cane and bananas but this still didn't stop the elephant tearing down the side of the path for more nibbles and nearly going off a cliff!! We went on a trek through the jungle which included some pretty dicey downhill sections. Will had the ears to cling onto, Tory had nothing aparty from her herculean thighs! We then took them for a bath at the end of the trek, ours disappeared and submerged itself in deep water away from our scrubbing brushes.

Next was an unexpected white water rafting experience which Tory did not enjoy, quote "I am cold and wet and am so over this now". Day ended by watching a granny strip off and wash herself in the river, a perfect day all in all!













Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

What's reverse again??What's reverse again??
What's reverse again??

What you can't see is the cliff just past the tree that he is eating


13th March 2011

Wow :D
Elephant riding looks amazing :D Glad you had a good time x

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb