Chilling in Chaing Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 27th 2008
Published: December 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

St Augustine once said that the world is a book and those that don’t travel read only one page. My first trip abroad made me want to read the whole book – prologue to epilogue. Thailand is a Mecca for the tourist and a great place to set the first chapter– the most popular of South East Asian destination – it blends an exotic mix of culture, food, history and temples.

The national carrier, Thai Airlines, gives an excellent preview into this country – hospitable hostesses, great food and unlimited entertainment. We transited through Bangkok’s main terminal – the escalators echo ‘end of the walk’ – we then caught a domestic flight to our first destination – Chiang Mai.

We were met at the airport by Aki, who would be our tour guide whilst in Chiang Mai. He transferred us onto the Novotel. Chiang Mai is the second biggest city in Thailand and is in the north. Founded in 1296AD the city is separated into two parts – the walled ‘old city’ or the new city. Chiang Mai offers an exciting mix of both the old and the new – a quick walk around the hotel and you can find a modern supermarket, some modern stores, and universities. Up town a bit there were shopping malls. Nestled in the streets were thousands of people on scooters, tuk-tuks, monks and temples. Being my first trip abroad it was amazing to see things like electricity lines wired in a mess, food for sale in carts and what seems like no road rules.

We had a few tours booked for us in Chiang Mai – it was good as it made us do some things we would not have thought of. Here we were feeling completely unsafe – hiding money in the kettle of the hotel room and at the end of the trip we were bartering like we had been doing it forever.

A Kantanoke dinner and dancing show was one of the tours – I tried a few different foods but it was nothing like the deceiving Thai restaurants in Brisbane. A lot of tourists were at this dinner and the local girls treated us to some traditional dancing…by the end of the night we were up dancing with them.

Shopping is a real treat in Thailand – on the first day we were buying clothes for a real cheap price – little did we know we were getting ripped off – the shop owners must have had a guilty conscience as they ended up giving us a complimentary beer. We discovered a market place is the best the do your shopping and spend some time buying gifts and souvenirs.

I was in Chiang Mai for the local election – in Thailand alcohol is forbidden on election day – Unfortunately I didn’t get an endless supply of Singh beers but it was good because the next day was the highlight of the trip – early start to see the orchid farm and then onto the elephant park about an hour out of Chiang Mai. The elephants were people friendly and put on a show. They were able to paint, play basketball, and do a little concert. I was actually called up the stage to get a massage off the elephant. We fed the elephant’s and then were able to ride them. It went for about half an hour and was bumpy. We saw some really poor kids selling bananas. We went though the park. Afterwards we got to go on a bamboo raft up the river before being taken by bull and cart to a smorgasbord lunch, which overlooked a beautiful setting in the mountains. Hard to believe that only an hour away was the hustle and bustle of the big city

A big draw card in Chiang Mai is the trip up the mountains to see the Karen tribe. The ladies have ‘long necks’ and they are immigrants from Burma escaping the conflict and live in homesteads in the mountains. They speak a dialect that no one around could understand but we did get the idea they were preparing for a wedding that night.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb