Arrived in Chiang Mai

Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 18th 2010
Published: January 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We'd slept badly again, but eventually we arrived in Chiang Mai at 7am and were dropped off at a great Guest House called Namkhong. We paid 250THB between us and it was one of the best rooms we've had... yes we've had some shockers thinking back to the Jungle Shack (aka Spider Sanctuary), but still...
The lady on Reception called Noo was brilliant and it was nice to be fussed over, she was like a Mother Hen. She sold us a daytrip for tomorrow (1,200THB - about 24quid) that includes White-Water rafting; Elephant trekking; and meeting the Long-Necked Women in the Hill-tribes. She was so knowledgable and was able to rattle off coach times and prices (for our travel to Laos) off the top of her head.
We had a fruit salad & yogurt for breakfast then hit the sack to catch up on some sleep.
At 10am we went to use the pool at the sister hotel next door, but the courtyard was fairly small so there was little sunlight. We went in search of a posh hotel and stumbled across the Grand Centara (our old friend from Ko Samui). Spoke to reception and they allowed us straight up to the pool on the 4th floor if we bought some lunch there. Mine arrived in a carved out Pineapple with a questionable sprinkling of herbs that resemble shavings from a Ginger afro. Tasted like it too. The sun went round the back of the building at 12.30, so we were back to square one: sat in the shade.
On to the next hotel. We found a really big boutique hotel with a fab pool. I wish I could remember the name as I'd like to reccommend it, but unfortunately I can't. We both slept loads then got really lost on our way home at 5.30pm. It took us at leats an hour, but at least we got to see lots of Chiang Mai!
After a long pampering session, we went out for dinner and had a lovely Thai Red curry with noodles in it.
Grabbed some home made icecream from a stall at The Night Bazaar, then wandered round the street market, which was really well presented compared to some we've seen. Unfortunatly we saw a baby Elephant in the street, it's owner was selling people banana to feed it, but the Elephant didn't look right. It kept swaying it's head from side to side, so we walked away before I had time to get upset.


Tot: 0.462s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 27; qc: 105; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb