Chiang Mai - Day Two...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 22nd 2009
Published: August 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello all...

We are sat in an internet cafe in Chiang Mai - the rain has just stopped - a short but lovely burst!
After a very odds nights sleep - where we went to bed at 9 - then woke again at midnight - and after sitting talking and reading decided we werent sleepy anymore... we ventured out amazed that it was so light at 4.30am - we went onto khao san road in search for breakfast and a route to chiang mai - we found a lovely fresh omlette with chives and rice... then bought a few snacky things and headed back to new joes...

on arrival back at new joes we found out that our clocks had been completely wrong - both of our mobiles had auto updated to the wrong time and we were two hours out... whoops!
we searched the internet and with the help on the lady at reception found out we needed to catch a bus to the main bus terminal so that we could head north, here to chiang mai -

the first bus - the 509 - we got on - the buses tend not to stop just slow down a bit and the doors swing open - we jumped on and we beckoned to the standing area at the back of the bus - a small man came to us shaking his tin for the bus fare - as we;d read and been told we had our 7 baht... (14p) at the ready but it appeared to be the wrong fare - now trying to understand what the bus conductor was asking was quite a challenge to say the least... eventually though, witht he help of a thai boy our age we managed to communicare it was the moh ghit bus terminal we were trying to get to and he shoed up our tickets which were 18baht each...

after a confusing journey with neither of us having any clue how far we were going on where it was we were meant to get off we were almost certain we'd missed our stop - we'd even turned around and were heading back towards the city when the bus conductor grinned at pointed to the door -

at the bus station we went to the ticket lady who said we could leave at 10am on a vip bus - and pay 680baht... or leave 7pm that night on a 2nd class bus and pay 290baht - so as not to arrive in the middle of the night we opted to go for the vip bus but managed to get the ticket down to 500baht....

we were shown to bus which was a massive double decker where we were placed right at the front, on comfy reclining chairs... as soon as we departed the buses "air hostess" brought us ice cold pepsi's and a little bag of goodies - which consisted of a strange cake a biscuit and what we thought was peanut flavoured milk - picachu branded! (this turned out not to be pictures of peanuts on the carton but soy beans...lol...)

after ten hours and a lot of scenery we arrived here in chiang mai - where we got a taxi to Grace house - a nice guest house, and a real bargain at 200baht a night... (4 pound for two...) - (arrived at graces after first going to guest house, and gaps house - the other places that began with a g... a bit of trail and error there....)

we found a beautiful restaurant woth delicious food - and yummy lassi's - something Robin was dying for me to taste!

off back to the guest house now, excited at planning the next week or so.... hot air balloon rides... elephant riding and 4 hours trips down the river on a bamboo raft....

its 11pm here and we have been awake since 2am so we are both very tired and weary, but pleased to have left the city and found this more peaceful sanctury....

love to everybody back home - will be getting a thai sim in the next few days so will let you know our thai number....

Byeeeeeee!

Advertisement



22nd August 2009

well hello travellers
first time on your blog, looking good - sounds like you are having an amazing time! had a bit of a freak out in a lift at work yesterday when i actually realised i'm not goin to see you for a year! haha i will have to make sure i keep in touch online though. just promise you wont spend all your time in internet cafes! or theres no poin in going lol. hope your both having lots of fun and looking after each other. thinking of you all the time! Min xxx
23rd August 2009

Memories!
Hi guys so enjoyed your blog as it was the same feelings I had when I was in CM last year. Will be there in October so I am looking forward to some greenery around the place :)
24th August 2009

i've just been looking on the map and realised how far you guys have actually been within your first week! whats going on where you're staying then? mum said she spoke to you guys this morning and you've got loads of stuff organised for the next few days. hope you have loads of fun and meet lots of people on your trip you're going on. Bankok not that much fun then? lol you didnt stay there very long! love..xxx
30th August 2009

you guys!!
i l.o.v.e it glad you're having fun! Bus rides are scaring me already not long now! Will get that e-mail to you! enjoy! xxx
5th September 2009

I love those VIP buses, they're pretty awesome. Well, as buses go. Were you treated to a second rate thai film that you couldn't understand?

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb