Planes, Trains And Automobiles


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 22nd 2009
Published: April 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: A Fellow Enthusiast 8 secs
2: Amy's Turn 14 secs
3: A Unique Perspective 5 secs

More Like "Flying Foxes, Tuk-Tuks And Trekking"



After falling out of the train that had become our home for the last 14 hours, exhausted, smelly and in need of food, our guesthouse was a welcome sight to our travel weary bones. We rested up for the day before heading out to the night bazaar for a bit of window shopping.

Unlike Bangkok, the North of Thailand is beautiful. Cooler, less humid and less people trying to push you to buy/use their services. Instantly we were in love. The people in Chiang Mai are also a lot friendlier and willing to help a lot more with just a smile as a kop poon ka (thank you).

We set off on Saturday to have a look around the Old City, which is the centre of Chiang Mai, still with remnants of wall and complete with moat. The three main Wats are situated inside, and range from ancient brick chedi (pointy spires), to ornately gilded ordination halls. It's daunting to think that Australia has 200 years of western history, and here we are standing in front of something over 700 years old.

Everywhere I've read has said "you haven't been to Chiang Mai until you've eaten Kao Soi and seen the vista from Doi Suthep" so lunch was easy to order. The dish is a chicken wing in a yellow curry soup with vermicilli noodles at the bottom and crispy noodles on top. It comes with a side dish of picked onion, spanish onion and spring onion and a little bowl of red chilli paste, which you proceed to add to your desired requirements. I think I'm in love!!! Quite possibly the best textured and tasting food ever to breach my lips!!!

A ute with a canopy, which is what passes for a taxi, was our means up to Doi Suthep. From my understanding, Doi is something akin to mountain, but nothing prepared us for this. The road winds it way up out of Chiang Mai, and when you think your near the top, you turn another corner and keep going. By the time we reached our destination, we were short of breathe and we still had over 300 steps to climb. Worth it?.... You bet ya!!! As well as the Wat, there is a view to die for, looking out over the city and the rolling hills beyond.

Sunday saw us take a day tour to Flight Of The Gibbon, a series of flying foxes, suspension bridges and abseiling through the rainforest at about 1300m above sea level.

What a rush!!!

for two and a half hours we were strapped in and sent flying (and with Amy's fear of heights, it was certainly an adventure). Lunch from the local village and a short trip even further up to Maekampong Waterfall, which is a variety of waterfalls and cascades stretching vertically for over 200m, polished off an excellent day.

Last day in Chiang Mai and we were off to see elephants, hill tribes and do some white water rafting. Early start, and an hour drive soon took the edge off the enthusiasm, until we saw the elephants. Beautiful, bulky creatures that (supposedly) had been put out to pasture since using them for logging became illegal. Not the most co-operative of animals became our guide for the next hour as we walked, bathed and fed these serene animals. I always get the feeling that there's no need to hurry when elephants are around. They tend to do things at their own pace regardless.

Trekking from the road into the wilderness for an hour, we came across a little village on the way to another waterfall. The people are so happy there.... always smiling and trying to talk to you. The waterfall was an oasis on a hot day, so without any prompting, in we went. The water was beautiful and clear, and it was just the ticket for a quick cool down before heading back down to do some more adventurous stuff.

Now, April is still the end of the hot season here in Thailand, so the water level of the river wasn't too high. Still, adventure was to be had, so we threw ourselves head first into the rapids and came out victorious. One can only imagine what it would be like in the wet season!!

A leisurely pole down the river on a handmade bamboo raft ended the day nicely (even if our raft did try to drown us a few times), and it was back to the city to get ready for the bus to Sukhothai the next morning.

Escaping from the hostel in such a hurry to catch the bus meant little time for stuffing around in the
Waterfall PanoramaWaterfall PanoramaWaterfall Panorama

Panorama of where we kept cool
morning. I don't think we did too bad considering I had to make phone calls to banks to get my credit card unblocked and we all know how long you can be on the phone to the banks for. Out the door (with a promise to the owner, Roger, that we will recommend the place, and trust me, it is worth it), on the bus, and on the road again. Five hours the bus takes to get to Sukhothai and half way through I reach into my pocket to find.....

The key to our room at Chiang Mai!!!!

Oops!! Oh well.... I've since posted it back to them and hope all is forgiven.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown


Additional photos below
Photos: 116, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Our RoomOur Room
Our Room

Just after we got off the train ride from hell!!


22nd April 2009

Weird Guy
Hey Mark,take a close look at the guy standing to your left i think he REALLY likes you :) ( in the group shot of you's up a tree )

Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb