Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 6th 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone. The weather is wonderful here ( sorry ), a bit cooler than in Bangkok which is great and a lot fresher.

We have had trouble getting train tickets for our future travels - everything has been booked out for the next 10 days due to the Songkran festival which is the Thai New Year. We have found cheap air flights though so we're not worried. Jack is looking forward to the Songkran festival because it is a nation wide water fight - they are cleaning out the moat and Ping river here in preparation for it.

We have been to the Tiger Kingdom to cuddle the tigers which has been a highlight for us. Jack almost didn't get to go in with them because the "baby" tigers were now too old and big for him. But we were there early and had the place to ourselves with our guide, so as these tigers were asleep we felt it was safe enough and bribed him to let Jack come in. They were a lot softer than I thought they'd be and just like our cats in their mannerisms only a little bigger. We were in with the 8 week old lion cubs ( which are fill ins until the next lot of tiger cubs are born ), the 5 month tigers, the 8 month olds and the 18 month olds. Lots of photos of course.

Last night there was the famous Walking Market on the road outside our hotel. I was told it was huge but I had not idea that that meant really, really huge. ( 2km long and off all the side streets and in every car park and temple grounds along the way ). It went from 3pm until midnight and it took all that time to see it all. To start with it wasn't too busy but around 6pm it became crazy. There was an awesome atmosphere, everything lit up and rich intense colours everywhere, beautiful crafts that were made by hill tribe people, lots of bargaining - Jack is getting the hang of it more and because he is adored by the Thai people is probably getting a better deal than us. Jack is thrilled with a Thai violin that he bought. After I have finished this entry we are going to go back across the road to our hotel so he can watch and get a lesson from the man who plays the same instrument beside the pool every evening. At the end of the evening we got foot massages at the entrance to our hotel before heading up our driveway. There were quite a few tourists taking pictures of the drive with its lanterns and bamboo archway ( gorgeous ) we felt special that we could walk past the guard when others couldn't.

Our hotels' pool is open now so we spent the entire afternoon in it - luxury and really exotic with the surrounds and gentle thai music in the background . The staff here are fantastic - the best service and pampering that we've ever had and they dote on Jack - he doesn't want to leave tomorrow.







Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb