Bangkok --> Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 3rd 2008
Published: October 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok - Day 2


After a complimentary breakfast, we once again set off into Bangkok... Once again the public transport system was a breeze as we made our way to the Hua Lampong train station to book our overnight train ride up to Chiang Mai.
From there we caught a tuk-tuk to Khoasan Rd (and were hideously overcharged we found out later... you live, you learn!) Great market there where we bought some international student cards (for use in the UK...), some clothes (couldn't resist!), and some sandles (see pictures...hehe) Was quite fun bargaining actually, with my best bargain of the day getting a really nice dress down from 450 Baht (about $15) to 250 Baht (about $8). The seasoned traveller will probably tell me i could have done better, but i didnt think it was bad for my first attempt!
From there we had a rush against time (in tuk-tuk, then taxi) to get back to the hotel to check out at 12noon. Arriving hot, stressed and tired at 5 mins to 12, we organised to have a late checkout - until 7pm and for only 500 baht (about $16) - not bad for a much more relaxing afternoon, able to have another shower and rest, room service (lovely meal for $4 each wasnt too bad!
About 5pm, we were off again to the train station to take our overnight trip up to Chaing Mai. Being in 2nd class, we shared a carriage with 38 othe people, but it was suprisingly comfortable with airconditioning and fairly spacious beds ... well for me... dav was a little cramped, especially as we slept wedged in around all our luggage!

Chaing Mai


Arriving in Chaing Mai at about 8am, we braved the streets, humidity and persistent tuk-tuk and taxi driving determined to pick us up, walking to the tourist information centre. We also arranged to book into the guesthouse directly behind the information centre which was a stroke of luck as it is such a lovely little place and the staff are super helpful. From here we plan on doing an overnight tour which includes treks, elephants, canoe rafting, white water rafting, etc but i will keep you all posted on that on a later date... :o)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



6th October 2008

Sandals..................WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Dav - nothing like some hairy toe knuckles to set the heart racing! Wait for the sandle tan marks, then you'll be a true backpacker.......you may even have a scandanavian accent by then too!

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb