Last day in Chiang Mai and into Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 19th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When we got back from the trek we headed to the suit place for Dom to have a fitting for the suit. All was ok so we took it there and then.

The next day we wondered round the town some more. I had some foot reflexology done which was really good. She asked which point hurt when she was doing it and told me what they meant. I had one tender point which represented my ears and was only on one foot which could mean i get dizzy or have balance problems, which i occasionally do and i do tend to veer to one side. It also hurt when she was in the area which represents the chest and although i dont tend to suffer from my asthma much anymore i had been having a few problems with my chest so it was interesting and nice after wandering around the city all morning. We headed to the airport around lunchtime by Tuk Tuk for our flight to Lunag Prabang in Laos. The airport was very small and so was the plane we boarded! There were just 60 people on it and it was powered by propellers, the smallest plane i had been on. I was a little nervous because you could feel so much more in the small plane, when it turned, when it dropped and turbulence etc. even though the flight was only an hour we still got some food. The decent was quite spectacular as we came in through the mountains. We hadnt got our visa beforehand but it didnt matter because it only took about 10 mins. The carousel for our luggage was so small they had to take all the bags off and leave them on the floor. There was someone coming round and checking that the baggage we had picked up was our own though which was reassuring.

From here we got a jumbo ( Laos' version of a Tuk Tuk which is slightly bigger) to a guest house we had chosen from a guide book. However on arrival to this place they were fully booked so we had to rethink. We wandered down the road a little and found Sopha house. We looked at 2 different rooms, one downstairs which was windowless but still nice and one upstairs. Once we had seen the upstairs one we couldnt say no. It was huge and made in traditional Laos style wood. The bed was huge and we had lots of other furnighings in the room too. We also had a balcony we could sit on and the guest house was alongside a river which fed into the mekong slightly further down. It was the most expensive room we had stayed in but still only 12 pound and it was nice to have some luxury for a couple of nights!

We went to the night markets which was very pretty. It was a really good market, mostly selling silk and embroidery such as bed sheets. We got a couple of bits and bobs and i could have got a lot more but we had to think about how much space we had to carry things. We did go to the post office to see how much it would be to send stuff back but it was very expensive so we thought we would try in a different country which is closer to the sea! We had dinner in a very nice restaurant. Luang Prabang was a lot quiter than Thailand and had several nice quaint restaurants.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb