How I went to cooking school and ended up in a Thai jail


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 30th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

What would a culinary-challenged person who wasn't a huge fan of spicy food do for a day in Thailand?

Why not sign up for a Thai cooking course? After all, isn't travelling to new countries all about new experiences?

Others staying at Spicythai were signing up for a one day course the day after I arrived in Chiang Mai so I jumped on the wagon, and the next morning via a trip to a local food market we were lined up - aproned up with sharp knives in hand - ready to slice, stir and steam our way through 6 courses.


"If you want adventure, tip the wok forward"

The chef in charge of us was the director of the school, and had a great sense of humour. The day was probably worth the 800 baht over again in comedy entertainment value. Sure, the humour was a bonus, but what most of us really wanted was flames! - or as the boss called it 'adventure'. Apparently the key to the flames when the ingredients were added was to tip the wok forward. "Fans off" translated to "the rest of you get your cameras ready". I gave mine to someone when it was our turn for 'adventure' - but ummmmm, didn't get a photo with flame.
I'm hoping to get photos from the girls that were either side of me - if there's a decent flame I'll add them to this entry later.
Other dishes we did as a group but I don't have photos of; deep fry spring rolls, papaya salad and sweet sticky rice with mango (yummmmm!).


The prison thing? Sorry to disappoint those hoping for a good story but I didn't get arrested for setting fire to the building with my flame creating prowess, or cause anyone grevious bodily harm honing my knife throwing skills.

Inmates at the Chiang Mai women's prison who are within 6 months of being released are allowed to work giving Thai massages to get a bit of income. They're not done inside the actual prison, but in a facility across the road. Not bad either, except the "oh, finished already?" at the end of the hour didn't buy me any more time - there or across the road.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Local Chiang Mai marketLocal Chiang Mai market
Local Chiang Mai market

Rice - "same same but different"
Master with a grinMaster with a grin
Master with a grin

"The Best Thai Cookery School"
Chicken in coconut milk soupChicken in coconut milk soup
Chicken in coconut milk soup

except we used pork for this one because there were other chicken dishes on the menu.


5th May 2008

great jo..
now im hungry... :)
7th May 2008

wow...i'm Thai but i can't cook. Thai is the best,isnt it?
26th May 2008

a Thai that can't cook?
now i guess i have seen everything.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb