on my own today


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 27th 2007
Published: May 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

kim and i had a screaming fight in the restaurant at breakfast so we're spending the day on our own... hehe it clearly made other people awkward cos they got up and left, but it didn't bother us that much. we haven't met many people yet to divert our attention from the fact that we're spending every waking second together, so we're taking some space.

went out to a wat (temple) in the forest by a pond. sat peacefully under a tree, watching the fish and turtles. a big one came RIGHT up to me to see what i was doing and swam away when i noticed his giant head.

got ripped off by a tuktuk driver to the tune of 340 baht, which is insane. it's funny now though, that's what travelling is about! i really enjoyed my time at the wat though, so it's ok.

went for dinner with our friend paul, who we met in kanchanaburi and this glorious indian place. i was sick, which sucked. perked up considerably when we went to the sunday walking market though. i'm not even kidding, kilometres and kilometres of stalls in the streets!! SO MANY! kim and i didn't know what to do with ourselves, shopped in a mad frenzy! this market is great for handicrafts (the whole chiang mai area is where one buys these things, not stupid bangkok). bought lots of great things, got lots of gifts out of the way. met a really nice scottish guy and canadian girl because we had our flags on our packs. (side note: the scottish guy is andrew, who we randomly met in laos and are now travelling with, several weeks later!) andrew told us that we could in fact get through the laos border to cambodia in the south of laos by the 4000 islands, even though all our books say you can't.

got back to the guesthouse and went swimming, immediately felt better. (that pool has been a life-saver!!!) met this AWESOME new zealand couple named mark and kelly, they're so nice! really funny too. chatted for a few hours and giggled at the frog that jumped in the pool and swam accross. he couldn't get out so we had to help him hehe we really hit it off well with mark and kelly, we definitely plan to keep in touch! they're travelling through south east asia and then working in europe for three years, have invited us to visit and i think kim and i probably will! they just got married before they left for the trip and kelly just graduated with her degree, and mark is in a new zealand band that sounds like it's doing quite well. exciting!

Advertisement



14th June 2007

Aww... little toads.. Reminds me of when i was at thetis and all of sudden this giant turtle came out.. it was awesome!! Wish i could do some crazy Asian shopping like that.. Its good that the two of you took some space when it was needed.. very healthy.. oxoxox Cookie

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb