Chiang Mai, Elephants and Rafts


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 12th 2007
Published: May 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up early to get picked up to go and see some elephants.

Quite tired from the night before so tried to get some sleep during the 1hour journey to the Elephant park.

We arrived on time and as soon as we were off the bus we were immediatly confronted by elephants.I have to say they are incredible animals. Despite looking sort of wierd with this long trunk and flappy ears there is some thing almost human about them. I think its in the eyes. The eyes give away a spark of intelegence that other animals simply dont have. That made the next bit all the more harder. It was an elephant show where they were made to do all sorts of tricks which just didnt seem right. although having said that I did enjoy seeing them kick footballs about. This bit was quite funny as as the ball was rolling towards them you could see them take a little run up and then boot it way off into the trees yonder. Despite this the trainers were quite hard (stricked - maybe you have to be with such a large animal) and pock them with this hooked and spiked sticks. But when they ran up to you and reached out for bananas youd just purchesed with their trunks it was quite cute. esspecially the younger ones with these hugh tufts of ginger hair all over them.

Later we spent some time riding on them which wasnt the most comfortable experience. Esspecially when going up or down hill but it did make you appreciate how large and powerful an animal they are.

Afterwards Venetia, Chressie and Mika (Swedish girl Id ridden the elephant with) took an ox cart back to camp. This was turning out to be a very sterieotypical touristic day.

Afterwards we had an excellent buffet lunch and then had a very relaxing (almost dosed off) raft journey down the river.

Just as the raft journey finished it started to rain (heavily) We spent the rest of the afternoon looking at some orchards which was a bit lame.

Took the 15min journey back to Chiang Mai in the pouring rain. As we arrived back in the guest house we discovered that the whole street and part of the down stairs was completely flooded. Chiang mai's drainage system had been completely overwelmed.

I napped for a while and waited for the rain to stop and the water to drain away.

Went to a cafe for dinner and to watch the Spanish GP qualifying.

On the way back I bumped into Kye who was having some drinks in the bar nixt door with some people. So I joined them for a bit before getting a relatively early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



18th May 2007

Elephant
I think you look suprisingly at home riding an Elephant bare-back.
25th May 2007

Compared to horses, how easy are elephants to steer? I hear that once they've chosen where to go, it's kinda hard to get them to go in any new direction.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb