Chilling in Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 29th 2006
Published: December 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Long neckLong neckLong neck

Woman from the long neck tribe.
Returning from our exhausting jungle trek, we headed north for Chiang Mai. This is the second biggest city of Thailand, but compared to Bangkok it really feels like an oasis. We had to arrange and wait for our Vietnam visa, so we stayed for almost a week in this typical back packer city. Since Chiang Mai is a bit the religious capital of Thailand, there is a huge amount of Wats (temples) to see. Other than that, we filled our days with a bit of everything: a lot of markets, a trip to the highest mountain in Thailand, a thai boxing course and fight,...

After our calm week we left Chiang Mai and went up towards Laos. On our way we stopped at some of the hill tribes in the far north of Thailand where amongst others we saw the famous long neck people. Afterwards we passed the golden triangle: the border between Thailand, Birma and Laos, an area known for its opium production. Finally we crossed the Maekhong river to reach our next stop: Laos.

Nick & Steven


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Plenty of watsPlenty of wats
Plenty of wats

In Chiang Mai you'll find another temple on every corner of the street.
NagaNaga
Naga

These dragons or 'Naga' at the entrance of every temple have to keep the evil spirits away.
GrasshoppersGrasshoppers
Grasshoppers

Trying some local snacks at the weekend market. In case you're wondering: no it wasn't tasty at all!
Wat Chiang MaiWat Chiang Mai
Wat Chiang Mai

The oldest Wat in the city. Take your shoes off before you enter and never sit down with your feet facing the Buddha.
Wat Doi SuthepWat Doi Suthep
Wat Doi Suthep

From this temple on mountain Doi Suthep you have a great view on Chiang Mai.
Tribe girlTribe girl
Tribe girl

From one of the hill tribes in the north of Thailand.
Sunrise on the MaekhongSunrise on the Maekhong
Sunrise on the Maekhong

This river is the border between Thailand and Laos.


4th December 2006

Bendeleider
Iep barry's, ziet er snor uit. Koopt voor mij is een hondje daar. Liefst een bruin labradorreke. En Tony, nu ben ik officieel nóg veel knapper als u! Doet da nog goe daar hé mannen en groenten aan Da An.
8th December 2006

:)
Zalig!!! mooi frisse kopkes idd... Thoonen ik ga uw crashes missen op skivakantie, of wacht es...we zullen ook wel minder sleutels kwijt zijn... :) CYA
9th December 2006

wow
Really great to follow your trip on the net. Hope to see you and listen to a lot of great stories when you're back in Belgium. Have fun and keep us posted!

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb