Jungle Trekk Day 3

Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
June 8th 2005
Published: June 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Once again we all woke up feeling sorry for ourselves and headed off, and just like the previous day it started raining. After trekking for about 2 hours we finally reach the end of the jungle and got in the back of our pickup truck. Sad as it was, our minds were already on our next activities for the day - Elephant riding and bamboo rafting!

So after a quick bite to eat we headed off to the elephant riding. Needless to say, elephants are BLOODY HUGE! The ride itself, was well, err, the equivalent of a jungle whip around the block. Not that interesting. So we then headed to the bamboo rafting where the real fun began. It was four to a craft plus one local driver. On my raft was Maria, Andy and Pete.

Within 2 minutes we were all standing up rocking the boat trying to make it flip. Soon enough our driver got into the action and Andy was the first to go. Eventually we all went off. The driver, I'm not sure if it was deliberate, crashed massive into a rock and we all went flying. Giggling like a bunch of school children we all jumped back on and wanted to do it again. We managed to tip the driver off 4 times, Andy about 20, Pete, Maria and Myself about 5 and we all got soaking wet. We also managed to break the raft 3 times which required us to stop and repair. As we went down we kept on getting overtaken (during out pit stops) by people who were completely dry and sitting down. Bah how BORING!

Eventually we got back, 20 minutes after the first raft soaked to the bone laughing like children. It was awesome fun.

This concluded our trekking trip. If you're going to do it, go to BMP House and ask for Mr Dong, he made it all the more awesome.

The next night after arriving back in Chiang Mai I was sitting by myself reading my book and Andy and John showed up out of the blue. Then about and hour later Jose and Maria showed up as well - once again the jungle crew was back together. So the inevitable occurred - we had to wake Pete up and go out! So we ended up at a "Cowboy" bar which was full of Lady Boy's! By this stage as you can imagine the group had formed a pretty close bond and we had such a fun time. Pete and I DOMINATED the pool table for 9 straight games only losing by an in-off with 5 balls up!

The next day Pete and I left Chiang Mai and headed overnight back to Bangkok where we have 2 more nights before heading to London. So this will be my last post from Thailand.

I've had such a great time, it feels like we've had 3 Holidays in one; the beaches of the south, the sleaze of Bangkok and trekking in the north. Thanks to everyone that we met along the way - whilst the scenery and the places were awesome - it was you guys that made it so much fun.

So I'm off to europe now - next post - London.

Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


8th June 2005

Good Stuff
Hi Sean, Loved your travelog, I can almost hear the groans the next day from the previous night's drinking, having experienced them from being around them before!! Perhaps with the price of living in London frogs could be a part of your nouvelle cuisine?? Keep up the diary and keep having fun.Love Mum - Barbara Roberts
12th June 2005

Asia on a Shoestring..And Alcohol !!
Top blog mate..Noticed your still lacking in the suntan dept., but i suppose the liquid sunshine rubs off quickly with all the lotion !!!Have a top time till then oldmate.. - Marty The Pom..

Tot: 1.686s; Tpl: 0.054s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb