Elephants, Elephants Elephants


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 9th 2017
Published: November 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today was all about the elephant. The Indian elephant to be exact. We were heading to the elephant sanctuary where nearly 100 elephants are trained, cared for and bred. There are only about 3000 wild elephants in Thailand and this sanctuary is trying to protect the few they have. There are a total of 1500 elephants in sanctuaries throughout Thailand so at least half are protected.



We drove north for 90 minutes further up into the mountains where the elephants live in the wild. Elephants were a domesticated work horse through Thai history. Their massive strength, easy of domestication and real love for humans make them the perfect beast of burden.



Elephants were used to move heavy logs during the early Thai history, allowing for construction of the country. They were also a mode of transportation. Modern machinery left these beasts unemployed and their numbers fell. Today the sanctuary is trying to protect this national treasure.



Our first stop was the elephant ride. Now this was cool, if not a little scary. You climb onto the elephant from a stand and ride in a small bench across the elephants back. The Mahoot sits right behind the elephant's ears and directs him with his feet and verbal commands.



The elephant has a very odd cadence, slow but not very even. As he walks, you are thrust side to side. If he goes down hill, you are pushed dangerously forward and could easily fall out of the seat if not for the loosely fitted seatbelt. You really had to hang on. eventually you got used to the cadence and it was a little easier, the down hill was still a little hairy.



We learned about bathing, feeding, breeding and saw the elephants put through their paces moving logs, working cooperatively and working solo. If one elephant is mad at another, they will not work together, just like people. There were adults, 40 -58 years old; juveniles 10 - 20 years old; and a few babies 2 - 5 years old.



The highlight, for me at least, was we watched two elephants paint a picture. It was amazing as if they really knew what they were doing. I asked to buy one, figuring it would be $25 but for 500 bhat, ($16) I had my very own elephant art! I was thrilled.



Next we headed out for a really nice lunch in a local restaurant, where not only was the food good, but Ricky bought cough medicine at the pharmacy across the street. I am hoping for a good night's rest tonight, I need it.



We got back to the Hotel at 2:30. Some folks went on the cooking expedition where they learned Thai cooking and ate what they cooked. I opted for a rest and fell asleep for three hours. I feel so much better, now maybe a little dinner?


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th November 2017

Elephant training
Hi there! I’m really enjoying reading your blog a andam returning to Thailand soon, but I was alarmed by some of your statements regarding how easy it is to domesticate elephants. Please, please read some articles about how the babies are taken from their mothers far too early and tortured until their spirits are broken. Anywhere allowing tourists to ride and forcing elephants to paint isn’t really a sanctuary, the Thais just call them this to fool tourists into thinking so. I have a friend who works for a proper sanctuary near Phuket. Honestly, it’s shocking. Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look forward to hearing about it. Rachel

Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb