Elephants, Bamboo rafts, Waterfall, Trekking.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Ban Kat
February 12th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Elephant path.Elephant path.Elephant path.

loads of elephants on the same path. Except the big bull one. They couldn't control him, he just went whichever way he wanted. Badass.
Well a few days a go we booked a trip to see remote hilltribe villagers - the Maewang (they are rude), do some Elephant riding, some bamboo rafting and see a waterfall. We paid a bit more than some other tour guides becuase ours look after the elephants well. They have breaks, and they have an elephant hospital nearby. The also hire local tribes-people as some sort of scheme or another. (We're not really Eco- or Ethno-tourists)

After the dozy guy taking another set of people on a completely different tour said "Yes" when we asked if he was going to Maewang and Sanpatong (He wasn't), we eventually got the right guide and all turned out well.

First of all we went to the elephant camp and were advised to buy sugar-cane or bananas from the 'Poor and hard-done-to locals.' to make friends with the elephants (but it was only 20 Bahts. There were boy elephants and girl ones, and one really big boy one - a bull.

We got a girl one and she was smelly with really prickly hair on her head, but very cheeky and full of character. Also very greedy. The elephants seem to do their own thing and in my opionion (Matt) the elephant wranglers are not firm enough with them, but that's good. We didn't realise how playful elephants are. It was fun and scary in parts.

After that we went up to see the Maewang villagers in Sanpatong, with their traditional houses and hand-weaving. Funny that they had Sky TV through a big ariel but no running water.

After that we went up to another village where a lady was selling woven stuff and women wear all white untill they get married (which with local school uniforms is changing with the new generation of kids).

After that we went up to see the waterfall and have lunch, which was nice and peacefull. Some people swam.

And then we went Bamboo rafting, where our party was split up. The Couple from Isreal (wife from Tel Aviv, and Husban originally from Essex) went on their own raft, whilst we shared a raft with the Polish couple.
It was good fun and Leanne and the Polish woman kept laughing at her Bloke because he kept falling in the water, and at me because they had a seat and i was
WatersnakeWatersnakeWatersnake

They found it in the toilet. It's dead here.
getting wet (Plus i was worried about my camera)

Then we headed back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Some Maewang Girl.Some Maewang Girl.
Some Maewang Girl.

Even at this age they try to get money out of you for something you don't want, in this case a bracelet. Leanne thought she was cute, Matt thought she was not to be trusted.
Soyabean field and rice fields.Soyabean field and rice fields.
Soyabean field and rice fields.

We saw during our mini-trek
Dog and Buffalo.Dog and Buffalo.
Dog and Buffalo.

This dog from the village followed us all the way, he was fun and kept biting the ears on this other dog. Plus he harrassed Buffalo.
Leanne and Polish WomanLeanne and Polish Woman
Leanne and Polish Woman

Here bloke was behind.


19th February 2007

sure youre actually eating?
'm so rude. It's just like you look like youv'e added about 2 stone since you left. Obviously your'e not living on mc d's and almond snickers any more but assume youeither got your head round the translations or someone is doing it for you. Hope you're getting emails O.K. the polish lady looks very nice I can only assume that you werepaddling(hope camera is all right) weather at home is awful but sent a long email yesterday which I hope youv'e got now. I have'nt a clue about time differences so I just carry on as if it's the same time there. Let me know if you need anything. Love as Always Mum XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX P.S. sent pix of dog - she still misses you both. silks from H.K. ab brill as I said pity about Weather. See you August. have a ball in the meantime - just don't eat yourself into an early grave and be very careful when it comes to contactind kimodo dragons_ not least because they have really smelly breath by for now

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb