Bcgypsey's capers


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand
November 2nd 2010
Published: November 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Beijing HutongBeijing HutongBeijing Hutong

Hutongs can be alleyways, streets or lanes.
The months, weeks, days past are just a blur as I now look forward to my impending marriage. November 20th is just a short couple of weeks away and the tension and busy activities I would normally be involved in, have been entirely taken over by my village. Every detail is being attended to; the elephants scheduled, the marching band at ready, the clothing we wear and the food we eat. We are like actors in a play; the script written, the choreography complete. We just need to wake at 4am and the orchestra will begin to play. These are the words of Dr John Williams, Peace Corps Thailand's Country Director.... "I have no doubt that your wedding will go down as one of the highlights, not just of your service, but of Peace Corps Thailand’s soon to be 50 year history! I look forward to it."

But wait, wait. This IS Thailand. Nothing ever goes as planned and this is what excites us... all the things that could and will go wrong but will still make this the most memorable event in our lives. I'm sorry most of you will be unable to join us. There will be time
Just a glimpse of the 'wall'Just a glimpse of the 'wall'Just a glimpse of the 'wall'

as it comes into view
for pictures and commentary later and through those, we hope you can somehow share this time with us.

I needed one last adventure as a single woman so Pat, another PCV and myself headed to China a couple of weeks ago. We flew into Beijing with our sandals, capris and short sleeve shirts on, forgetting that it really does get cold 2000 miles north of Bangkok. Heating is controlled in many places by the Chinese government so our hostel room was frigid as the heat is not turned on until 31 Oct. It was too short a trip, 10 days is just not enough time to see everything even in the cities we stopped. We found the people to be warm and friendly, many, many speaking English which made travel very easy. Everything is so large, the buildings, the squares, both new and old. China's antiquities are nothing short of amazing...hard to imagine masses of people working year after year to accomplish and leave behind what they did.

Hope you enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Just to prove I wasJust to prove I was
Just to prove I was

Really there!
The tram The tram
The tram

at Jinshanling. Saves a couple of hours hike...yeah, I took it!
Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

Hugh complex
Tian a men SquareTian a men Square
Tian a men Square

Disappointing as we couldn't get in. We were riding bikes and couldn't take them inside or leave them out alone.
Xian City wallXian City wall
Xian City wall

Our hostel was right inside...great location
Terra Cotta SoldiersTerra Cotta Soldiers
Terra Cotta Soldiers

Speechless to describe
From the topFrom the top
From the top

of Xian City wall
Victoria PeakVictoria Peak
Victoria Peak

Hong Kong Bay


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb