Pad Thai & Auld Lang Syne


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand » Nong Khai
December 29th 2011
Published: January 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Penang and got a ferry to Butterworth, where we waited for our train to Bangkok. A quick stop at the border and we were soon in Thailand, enjoying a Thai curry and a beer, before our seats where turned into beds and we woke up in Bangkok.

After spending about eight hours in Bangkok we boarded another overnight train to Nong Khai. We arrived, not particularly refreshed, and bundled into a Tuk tuk which took us to the Mut Mee Hostel. After a much needed shower and rest we visited the hostel bar where Stuart played guitar and drums with a group of Thais until it was time to go to bed.

On New Years Eve we hired pushbikes and cycled through the town until we reached the sculpture park. There were many large sculptures of Buddhas and other Asian gods as well as a couple of ponds filled with catfish. We spent a while whipping the fish into a frenzy by throwing in food we had bought for them. We topped off our day by making a cultural visit to the Tesco Lotus before heading back to Mut Mee for a really good New Years Eve BBQ and party.

After a couple of days of doing very little we again hired bikes and went for a ride to the water park, a series of lakes with bridges and pathways all around where we enjoyed a relaxing afternoon in the sunshine. We then went to the bar to watch some live music.

The next morning we sorted out our bags and jumped on a Tuk tuk to the border. Next stop Laos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb