Entry DENIED


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand » Nong Khai
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

I spent a couple of days in the charming little town of Chiang Khan which is located on the banks of the Mekong River. The town has narrow streets and is full of rustic French architecture.

The day in Chiang Khan begins with the gentle tolling of the local wat's bells at around 6 am. And then you see the line of 5 or 6 monks walk past on the street and the locals run out from their houses to put rice in their pots.

***

Today I made my border run for Lao. The rumours are true, no entry for Thai motorcycles at the Friendship Bridge. I went through the entire process of exiting Thailand, getting a temporary export permit for the motorcycle, road across the Mekong, switching over to the right side of the road, got my 30-day Lao visa, was processed by immigration and then had to wake up some official from his nap in his air-conditioned office to find out, "no, sorry, no entry."

Internet research indicates that other border crossings may or may not be allowing motorcycles through. Long story short, I may have to find a different way into Lao and it may be through Cambodia.

So I'll probably spend a day here in Nong Khai and then head south and make for the Cambodian border at Aranyaprathet/Poipet.

Did I mention it's stinking hot!?! Even the locals are commenting.







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

main streetmain street
main street

Chiang Khan
Wat ThakhokWat Thakhok
Wat Thakhok

Chiang Khan


2nd April 2007

Entry DENIED.....
Hey there Laura- Love reading all about your adventures, keep them coming. Sounds absolutely wonderful and we love the pics. Wish we were there with you! Take care.
4th May 2007

memories of Nong Khai
Ah, Nong Khai. When I was there it was impossible to get into Laos and there were few tourists. But I have fond memories of strange restaurant service and kids yelling at us in three languages.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb