Sarah and Me on the MeKong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand » Nong Khai
January 2nd 2007
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok MorningBangkok MorningBangkok Morning

I was in love with the Sky Train. Whenever I took a photo we tened to miss a train, but there was always another one on the way!
Xavier-

We've made it not quite to Laos yet, but we can see it. When we first got to Nong Khai, a border town in North East Thailand, we checked into Mut Mee Guesthouse. Its run by a garralous English gent and his mum, who was sitting having her morning tea in some post-colonialist time warp.

The most impressive and obvious thing we noticed straight away here is the mighty Me Kong river- which we have to cross to pass into Laos. We arrived here yesterday and we could hear the music blearing over from the other side. In fact, a day later and it was still going. Thailand may have the fancy temples but Laos knows how to party!

Our 3 days in Bangkok were totally cool, its Skytrain gliding above the rooftops, tasty roadside stalls. My expectations were exceded. Nonetheless... it was a relief to escape the constant din and the smog. Not to mention the tourists - we took a fun 80c boat ride to the Grand Palace, but clearly we weren't the only ones with the same idea that day.

Our train ride up to the border was much fun. The only train
The RiverThe RiverThe River

The river is the traditional life-blood of Bangkok. It still is if you consider tourists your life-blood.
still available when we booked using the interweb was a Night Train (this one goes to you, James Brown). Sarah and I both had lovely, cosy top bunk beds to sleep on, which neatly folded up in the morning. Before we went to sleep we looked out to see the Bangkok locals in the shanty town having fun - it was New Year's Eve after all!

Nong Khai may not figure hugely in tourist guides, but S and I are glad we decided not just to pass through. Today we hired bicycles and went over to a sculpture park on the other side of town. It would have been nice to have a guide to explain the story behind these strange concrete scultures - some 30m high, but I'm actually happy not to know: an elephant leading an army of barking dogs, a smiling face with a crown of skulls and several arms with its hands all holding standing figures. Check out our favourite in the photos: another smiling figure with beautifully carved serpents with tongues flashing.

Its getting to that time in the afternoon for out favourite ritual: Beer o'clock- 630ml beers: Chang, Singa or more obscure ones like Leo and Archa, and the prices get cheaper the further we go. 25 baht is the current record. For the folks out there not aware of the conversion rates: one New Zealand dollar. Cheers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Catachuk MarketsCatachuk Markets
Catachuk Markets

Best market! Much crap, but much good stuff too!


2nd January 2007

Bangkok
You did not mention any bombs! All right! looks like fun. Good luck to the two of you.

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb