Day 21: Hungover Zoo


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
September 30th 2018
Published: September 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We again did not stir til after midday. Both feeling a bit sore we decided to go to Dusit Zoo, the oldest Zoo in Thailand which was soon to be shut down to move to a bigger area. It was a reasonable walk through the humid heat in the middle of the day, especially when we accidentally walked the wrong way attributed to being distracted my monitor lizards and turtles that had been spotted in the moated area around the zoo’s outer perimeter. For 150 baht each we were in. Similarly to Delhi the zoo worked in an encouraged one way system. In the centre of the city and thus not particularly spacious for the animals, it was very easy to see why it was felt necessary to relocate. The big cats in particular seemed glum. The elephant though seemed particularly happy. Animals, what are you going to do. My personal highlight was finally getting to meet a saltwater crocodile. Not in the way I had anticipated, as I was a lot closer and there was a very thick glass window in between us. Firstly, it’s super intimidating to see one up close. Like, the Siamese crocodiles in the enclosure next door looked like this beast’s children. Rows of teeth, and like an armoured tank. I may revise wanting to get close to one in the wild. Not.



The trip itself took the majority of the day, especially as on the way back we were caught in a huge thunder storm and had to wait it out under an awning lest Meg’s white T shirt go completely see-through (and us get struck by lightning). On the way back, we decided to stop at Thipsamai for Pad Thai for dinner. This place had been sounded out in multiple blogs as being the best place to eat in Thailand, and didn’t everyone know it. We got there at 20 past 5, and it was rammed. It only opened at 5, and we were already third in a queue that did not move at all in the 30 minutes we were there. In the end we gave up and walked back to the facilities around the hotel, settling on a burger from a hostel bar near us. It was called “Poshtel” and it was actually pretty good, but it would have been nice had they remembered that Meg had placed an order too, which added an extra half an hour onto our stay.



Not a lot more to report from this day, as we were knackered and hungover, so just returned and went to sleep.



Steps: 21045



Top Tip: Don’t stay in a hotel with a grey room, as you will end up forgetting what time of day it is as the whole room is dark all of the time and spend most of your time asleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb