Sin City, a.k.a. Pattaya (Day 6)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Pattaya
June 9th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Pattaya


PattayaPattayaPattaya

Just outside the campus
We ventured into Pattaya Town today (we are actually staying a good few km's from Pattaya) and that was definitely more of a culture shock than actual Thailand.

Pattaya isn't real Thailand. And straight away we decided we didn't like it all that much, not because it's over-commercial, not because of the amount of touts and not because of the amount of go-go bars and lady-boys milling around. The main problem was the amount of lechurous old farang (foreigner) who not only make it obvious that their staring but actually go in for the kill and try and give you a grope. So after a couple of hours mainly seeking the safety of the many air-conned malls we decided to hope on a baht-bus (Songthaew) back to the campus.

The baht-bus was definitely the more fun part of our day out. We chartered it (used it like a taxi) and finally haggled a price (only after the driver thought we were heading somewhere completely different. Tiger Zoo and Regent's School, I guess sound the same, but at least we didn't get ripped off, unlike the 2 bottles of water we bought from a cafe which cost 28 baht each!!!
PattayaPattayaPattaya

Some of the stalls that sell great ice coffee and some of the spiciest food we've had so far!
Now we know to only buy bottles of water from 7-Elevens or other supermarkets rather than somewhere that mainly sells food. Lesson 1 learnt!!

Tomorrow we'll be heading into Bangkok for the day to buy our train tickets for Chiang Mai next week and to spend a couple of hours doing the touristy things.

By the way, we've only been in Thailand for a few days and already our itininery has changed drastically. We've knocked a few places off and added what we hope maybe more worthwhile places, and of course we'll keep you updated.

Dan & Amy
xxx

PS...we've added some photos of the area surrounding the school campus, where we stopped at one of the many temples and got taught how to pay our respects before Amy went to the local salon to get her hair cut.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

A common site around this part of the world
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

On...and another common site...the coconuts taste good too!
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Entrance to the school campus
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

A temple nearby
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Temple
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Temple
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Temple bells
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Entering the temple
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Being tought how to pay our respects
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

After paying our respects we were allowed to turn our backs to Buddha and pose for a photo.
Pattaya TownPattaya Town
Pattaya Town

Walking Street..full of go-go bars and the like...very quiet this time of day!
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

The entrance to Walking Street
Pattaya TownPattaya Town
Pattaya Town

After not that long we beat a hasty retreat to avoid the nasty old farang milling around town!
Pattaya TownPattaya Town
Pattaya Town

View from the back of the Songthaew
Pattaya TownPattaya Town
Pattaya Town

Songthaew ride
Pattaya TownPattaya Town
Pattaya Town

Songthaew ride
Pattaya TownPattaya Town
Pattaya Town

Picture of the King...very highly respected here


11th June 2009

Not your Friend!
Just so you know Dan....im sitting in Alpha Tower reading this and disliking you very much....you guess who this is from!
13th June 2009

Suki by any chance??
15th June 2009

Correct!
15th June 2009

Can feel the heat
Hi Dan and Amy Love the updates and Photos keep them coming. The weather in Bournemouth is a sizziling 20c. Food bland Beer great. Enjoy yourselves and be carefull. Love from Paul and all in Bournemouth.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb