Back in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 3rd 2017
Published: January 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

With no work lined up in January or February we have taken the opportunity to return to South East Asia for a bit of travelling. There will be some familiar places on this trip, but most of it will be new for us. We're quite excited really!

KLM announced a few months ago that they were going to start flying from Alicante to Amsterdam, from where connections are available to the rest of the world. That meant we could get to Bangkok with just one change instead of the two changes we have to make if we fly with Qatar. The promotional prices to launch the route were unmissable so here we are back in Bangkok. The seats were nowhere near as comfortable as Qatar and the Boeing 777 was full so we had to endure the back row next to the toilets. At least we didn't have a 4 hour wait in Doha at 2 o'clock in the morning. Even so, we arrived at the hotel having had almost no sleep whatsoever. This was anticipated though, so we booked in for 3 nights to get over the journey.

We had stayed in the Golden Tulip Mandison Suites before so we knew that a short stay at £40 a night was just what we needed ahead of our trip. Yes, we are more flashpackers than backpackers nowadays! We even have Osprey hybrid wheelie suitcases / rucksacks now!!

It was bedlam at the airport. It seems that New Year's Eve is a popular day to arrive. A time for celebration, and also contemplation after the passing of Thailand's King, the turning of the year was being marked with free public transport. That didn't stop the mega queues at the ticket office though, as despite being free a ticket was still required!

A few stops on the Sky Train then a change onto the Metro for one stop brought us to the Sukumvit area of the city where we dragged our new bags along for the 15 minute walk to the hotel. Negotiating bumpy roads and kerbs was difficult but I'm sure the bags will soon be under as much control as a dodgy supermarket trolley with wonky wheels.

Then, a 3 hour siesta, to start this adventure feeling a little more human.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



3rd January 2017

Welcome back!
Welcome back to Thailand guys. What are your plans for SE Asia?
3rd January 2017

Loose itinerary!
North Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Brunei in 9 weeks. Looking at the possibility of Myanmar too.
6th January 2017
Traffic!

Love the photo
Captured the essence.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb