Grand Palace Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 21st 2013
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today I visited The Grand Palace, Bangkok. Everyone said go early, so I did, wrong much quieter by the time I left around lunchtime???. On entering the Palace you can barely see anything for the amount of people there, this was on a Friday morning so not the weekend, there were just hoards. Decided to walk around the galleries where the walls are painted with scenes from Ramakien. The paintings depict the story of different stages of war, the rescuing of Sita, the building of a causeway to the mainland, and finally the death of Thotsakan. Some of the walls have been refurbished in recent years so not aloriginally but very intricate. Wat Phra Kaew holds the emerald Buddha, which is made from emerald but from jade. When it was fund originally it was covered is plaster then someone noticed there was a bit flaking away and beneath the plaster green stone, hence the name emerald Buddha. It is quite small compared to the Buddhas in Wat Pho. The Buddha is dressed with three seasonal costumes, summer rainy season and winter, this ceremony is presided over by the King. The whole place is absolutely full of the most intricate forms of mosaic, it must have taken years, as every building and statue is adorned. Besides the architecture giantess are giant yakshas, golden kinnaris and other mythical beings. In keeping with all this beautiful splendour the topiary in the garden is fantastic. I wanted to visit the museum of textiles but it was closed, bah!! After all this went to the market for a spot of lunch, followed by a visit to a shoe shop, which I tried desperately to resist but they just had the cutest, comfy sandals. Had to be done I'm afraid, my excuse is the I bought in Oz looked a bit tatty. Also in the shop was a rat, obviously couldn't find shoes in her size so made a hasty exit, well we were right next to the river!! Boat trip back was eventful the boat crashed into one of the jetties a lot of noise but not much damage thankfully I think if you went into the water you would never come out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb