THE CALL OF THE MILD – the conclusion of The Grand Tour


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 23rd 2012
Published: November 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Close to heaven Close to heaven Close to heaven

– a lychee martini at the Moon Bar, Banyan Tree as dusk settles over Bangkok
When does the lure of the mundane become more compelling than the lure of adventure?

At around eight and a half months by our reckoning, so this is the end of our travels, homeward bound via Bangkok and Sydney.

It’s definitely been an adventure - The Grand Tour - not a holiday. We don’t seem capable of doing ‘holidays’ – that’s what we’re coming back to Matarangi for - there’s nothing like the luxury of... YOUR OWN BED…

In 37 weeks we’ve slept on 53 beds, struggled with 53 showers, puzzled over many different types of oven, wrangled nearly as many washing machines, fought with about the same number of front doors and diced with a dozen or so dish washers.

We’ve had no hot water, no water at all and far too much water in the wrong places. Noisy city places, places in the middle of nowhere, hot sunny places, cold dark places, places that were so hard to find even with a GPS we had to ring the owners. Places we didn’t want to leave and places we couldn’t wait to get out of.

We had no real disasters, but I have one big
Moon Bar view Moon Bar view Moon Bar view

Bangkok just west of the central city – yes there is green amid the streets of chaos
travel gripe…BEDS! What is the main thing you need and are paying for with travel accommodation?...a comfortable place to get a good night’s sleep! The biggest problem was the European style of having two single beds pushed together for a ‘double’ …all it does is double the discomfort in the middle of the night when you roll into the ever increasing chasm between the two mattresses.

Is it so hard to provide a nice, reasonably new bed when you are renting out accommodation?

We’ve had convex, concave, lopsided, lumpy, squishy, so high I fall out of, some so bad we’d wake up through the night and have red circles on our backs in the morning from the springs, one where the bed was against the stone barn wall and Rhys woke up with grazed elbows.

Thick crunchy feather duvets provided for year-round guests were too hot even in the British ‘summer’ and NOBODY USES TOP SHEETS anymore!! So duvet or no duvet, that is the question, which means an endless round of chucking off then scrabbling round on an unfamiliar floor to find an edge and haul it back on again.

And pillows? Don’t get me
Pavement sign in Bangkok Pavement sign in Bangkok Pavement sign in Bangkok

– that’s why we had to get Rhys on the next plane out!
started on pillows... not enough, too many, like planks, like bouncy castles, full of rocks, full of fluff…and clearly no-one in the self-catering world has heard of pillow protectors. Pillows are important when your partner snores like a 737 unless he has just that right amount of cranial elevation.

I can sleep with earplugs and an eye-mask, but for only about 2 hours until the mask falls off and the plugs fall out and I spend another hour trying to find them in the bed, by then it’s light outside in the crazy British summer and the layer of gossamer over the windows pretending to be curtains fails to keep out the early morning sun…which is the only time we might see the sun that day as by the time we’re ready to go out it’s started to rain.

Don’t get me wrong…we had a fabulous time!! But the best beds we slept in were those of family and friends.

After this much experience of accommodation, I’ve developed 'Hily’s holiday laws', not dissimilar to Murphy’s law, which may help prepare you if you ever have the foolhardy desire to plan a similarly lengthy trip.

1.
Christmas tree at the Central Mall Christmas tree at the Central Mall Christmas tree at the Central Mall

- they may be Buddhists but they know how to do business
If you’ve never seen an oven/washing machine/dishwasher/microwave like it before, there will NOT be an instruction manual – use Hily’s tried and true travel tip, take a wild guess and push whatever button takes your fancy.

2. If you have no tea/sugar/washing powder/dishwash liquid/powder/soap etc there will be NONE in your accommodation – conversely if you are well stocked up, there will be oodles of product waiting in the cupboards on your arrival.

3. Cottage/villa/apartment doors never open the way you expect them to (because the key has been munted by other people who couldn’t open it) and the only real skill is how you hold your mouth.

4. An eggcup makes a passable sink plug (Rhys’s discovery) - plugs are often inexplicably missing in the UK where they still prefer the medieval practise of washing up in a uselessly small plastic bowl.

5. The number of vases with plastic flowers, doilies, bad art work and crockery with holiday motifs will be in inverse proportion to the number of decent wine glasses.

6. Light switches are never where they should logically be and steps are always where they shouldn’t be
Wat Arun, the Temple of Dawn Wat Arun, the Temple of Dawn Wat Arun, the Temple of Dawn

on the bank of the Chao Phraya river
- I recommend adopting the house-on-fire technique of feeling your way from the bedroom to bathroom BEFORE you retire to avoid a nasty accident.

7. You will find the brochure or website that gives you exactly the information you needed at the start of your stay, on your last day, or the day after you’ve left.

8. There will be a great market with fabulous local produce on the day you arrive at the accommodation which has no kitchen facilities, equally, when you want to buy fresh local food to cook, the market was yesterday.

For all these travel trials, there are many lovely people that leave you wine, biscuits, local cheese, tubs of gelato or beer in your fridge after a long hot drive…hugs and kisses to them (and a mention on Trip Advisor!)





It’s a long way home from Rome, so we planned a week in Bangkok and were looking forward to it – mainly to thaw out from our European ‘summer’!

Thailand makes the perfect stop over from Europe, not least because of the shopping – it’s more than likely that t-shirt, bag, earrings or sandals
Hindu Temple Hindu Temple Hindu Temple

in the Indian area around Silom Rd
you see in Camden, Montmartre or Campo Fiore markets will have been made in Thailand anyway, so why not support their industries directly rather than some sleazy importer making 400%!m(MISSING)ark-ups.

Best buys in Bangkok –

Thai silk scarves in an infinity of colours and designs – go to the Chatuchak markets on the weekend

- Made to measure shirts and suits in that lovely Thai silk

- Rubies and emeralds – they mine them there. Just have a look anyway…

- Ping pong balls – they must be cheap as they go through a lot of them

Bangkok is the hottest city in the world, so be prepared to be sticky approximately 5 minutes after leaving your air conditioned hotel and get progressively stickier and grimier as you walk the food stall and market lined streets, travel on the skytrain, get shoved into an already overcrowded river ferry or risk life and limb driving through the crazy traffic in a tuk tuk until you finally return to your chilled sanctuary, drained and exhausted.

Also be prepared to be invited on the street to experience the charms and talents of
Tuk tuk rideTuk tuk rideTuk tuk ride

they look so pretty – till you get going in the Russian roulette that is Bangkok traffic
artistes such as Miss Pussy Ping Pong – they’d generally ask Rhys first (with me right there!) or if he waved them away, they’d ask me! Do I look like someone who likes table tennis??

Have a Thai massage – 2 solid hours of pleasure and pain for under NZ$20. I asked our hotel for a recommendation to avoid going into one of the many places where Miss Pussy Ping Pong has her day job.

No matter how hot it is, wear appropriate clothing when going to the Grand Palace or you’ll have to wear rental gear and look like a compete tourist wally in all your photos. NEVER wear stripes with elephants.

Do NOT believe anyone who tells you that the Grand Palace is closed for the King’s second cousin twice removed’s birthday and instead you should visit the best silk shop in Bangkok by tuk tuk (which has miraculously drawn up beside you). Even if the river ferries are closed for the afternoon because of a royal flotilla. In short – don’t believe ANYONE on the streets of Bangkok.

When you’ve kept walking and got to the Grand Palace, don’t miss Queen Sirikit’s textile
The Big Sitting Buddha.The Big Sitting Buddha.The Big Sitting Buddha.

It was VERY big
museum (easy to miss – it’s right at the exit and by now your head is reeling with oriental splendour overload) It’s not just about beautiful clothes, it’s a fascinating insight into the impact of the beloved royal couple and the recent history of Thailand. And it’s air-conditioned!

Eat at all kinds of places – Rhys even ate chicken off a wizened old lady’s street cart and didn’t die (although he’s still waiting for the salmonella symptoms to appear). Even the fancy restaurants are cheap by our standards and you can get fabulous Thai food for two from $10 - $20 at a zillion little neighbourhood cafes.

An interesting thing we experienced in Bangkok – we found it a much easier dining experience than in France, Italy or Spain, where making your dining needs known was often fraught with language and etiquette issues. Thais working in hospitality seem to have much better English skills – or maybe they’re just more interesting in trying.

It was a great end to our eight and a half month adventure. But even better was seeing our first grandchild for the first time on our stopover with Torin and Andrea in
The Golden Buddha,The Golden Buddha,The Golden Buddha,

it was very…golden
Sydney. Yes of course he is the most adorable child in the entire universe, so as his parents are living on the other side of the ditch I can’t help thinking our travel plans might have to have a different focus in future…

So over and out from Flying Kiwis for a while – thanks for joining our adventure!

“May your bags always come out first on the carousel”


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

River lifeRiver life
River life

Bangkok style
River festivalRiver festival
River festival

– martial arts display for the celebration of the head monk’s birthday. We think.
52 royal barges52 royal barges
52 royal barges

– wonderful chanting, singing and paddle-banging, this might have been the head monk’s barge…
Fabulous buildings in the Grand PalaceFabulous buildings in the Grand Palace
Fabulous buildings in the Grand Palace

Part of the Royal Pantheon
Posing in the golden glowPosing in the golden glow
Posing in the golden glow

of Phra Siratana Chedi, a huge golden reliquary of Buddhist sacred objects (admiring allowed only from the outside)
Beautiful frescoesBeautiful frescoes
Beautiful frescoes

that have been restored on walls of palace buildings – this might be Hanuman and his monkey army (there were no signs in English)
Dusit Maha Prasat Throne HallDusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall
Dusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall

- mainly for the lying-in-state of royalty
NEVER wear stripes with elephantsNEVER wear stripes with elephants
NEVER wear stripes with elephants

this is what happens if you go to the Grand Palace in shorts and have to borrow more ‘appropriate’ clothing
River ferryRiver ferry
River ferry

you can either take the tourist or non-tourist ferry. Both are crammed with tourists anyway, but the tourist one is less dangerously crammed..
Grandpa having fun in Sydney Grandpa having fun in Sydney
Grandpa having fun in Sydney

- wheeling Corban round Darling Harbour
Grandma having fun in SydneyGrandma having fun in Sydney
Grandma having fun in Sydney

a food hall is the height of sophisticated dining when you are 6 months old


24th November 2012

It has been a pleasure following you on your Grand Tour...
thanks for sharing with us!
24th November 2012

Welcome back!
I laughed the whole way through this - fantastic!!
24th November 2012

p.s.
Love the panorama photo you have on this entry :-)
25th November 2012

from australia
Hi Hilary and Rhys have loved looking at your tour blogs, what a terrific trip you've had. thank you so much for keeping in touch, our beds are nice and comfy if you ever get back hear. how many pairs of shoes did you wear out?. love from June.
25th November 2012

Great travel laws
Loved 'Hily’s holiday laws', especially no. 8. Could also add number 9, discovering that great bar/restaurant on your last night in town, after enduring a week of crap food. Looking forward to your next travels.
27th November 2012

Welcome home, have been wondering when . you have had me wiping away tears of laughter at your trials with accomodation, it is so true.... Looking forward to seeing you both. with Love,
8th December 2012

You make me laugh
I haven't gone through all of your blog, Hilary, but you are marvelously funny. I hope you continue writing. Please include me as a fan and follower! My journey to paint the Italian countryside has only just begun. There are 7 of us and some of us will be going to Paris in Vincennes. The manager has invited us to share our work in a private show there. Cool, eh! Thanks for the laughs! Pat from Palazzo Catalani, IT

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb