The road to Ko Phangan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 29th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After finding a cab to take us to Kao San road, we found a little cafe that was open on the neigboring Rambhutri street and had a coffee while we waited for the travel agent we had used to book our train tickets to Laos to open shop. We booked ourselves bus and boat tickets to Ko Phangan and went in search of a place to leave our bags for the day. Bags stowed, we spent the day doing a little shopping on Kao San and drinking a few beers.
Once evening rolled around, we grabbed our stuff and returned to the travel agent to meet up with the woman who would lead us through the streets (literally) to a massive crowd of people being plowed into busses to head south to Ko Phangan and the full moon party. This party happens every month and the few days leading up to it there is a massive exodus of people grabbing trains, busses and boats to the island.
Pretty much all of the coach busses that you catch in Thailand are double decker busses and with a stroke of luck, Niki and I got front seats on the top.
Most busses have TVs but they generally are never on, this trip however they played a couple movies for us; Rise of the Planet of the Apes and The Fast and the Furious. Both were bootlegs (one was even a handy cam recording from in the theatre) and they both had the most hilariously translated english sub titles I had ever seen. The truly sad part though was that the wiring for the speakers was poorly done and every bump the bus hit knocked the sound out for a moment. So if you tried to rely on the subtitles for the movie you had absolutely no idea what was going on. The driver stopped the bus a couple times and made an attempt to fix it by mummifying the cables with electrical tape but sadly this only made it worse. After the second movie, he threw in the towel and in an act of mercy, shut the tv off.
Everyone got a little sleep and after a brief midnight stop at a roadside food stand we arrived at the pier for the trip over to Ko Phangan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb