Day 13 – Déjà Vu


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 1st 2012
Published: April 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

MarketMarketMarket

Disclaimer: People with claustrophobia enter at their own risk.
Didn’t we do this already? Um, yes. But this time we did it right!

We spent the entire day in Bangkok, shopping, walking, and drinking (fluid in general, no alcoholic beverages). Shopping is hard work!

The local weekend market, which was closed on Friday when we went there the first time, was huge! Stands everywhere, people everywhere, and humid warmth. We were all really excited at first – the prospect of shopping for 1/3 of the price in Denmark had us going for the first hour – but we soon realized that the market was more of a jumble sale with cheap second hand items. Luckily, we were good at scouting out the stands that had new unused items. We spent 4 hours walking around, spending money, and hydrating. Every other purchase was some kind of fluid. But I got two elephant figures for my apartment, a pair of glasses with my current strength, and a new handbag and I spent less than 200 kr.

After the local market, we walked across Bangkok - at least that’s what it felt like - to another market. Indoor this time and closing down as we got there (after a 20 minute walk). Katja and I were fast enough to squeeze inside a bra shop and buy 3 each, only 10 kr. a piece.

Then we walked all the way back to where the local market was, because that was where the train station was, and embarked on a long adventure back to the hotel (déjà vu as well – last time we also had some issues getting back..). Two trains and an expensive cab ride. First train was packed with people, we were packed like sardines. The second train was the fast train to the airport, which Dad and Kasper were eager to try. ‘Fast’ shouldn’t be part of its name, ‘cause we didn’t feel the difference. It was more luxurious than the regular one; we were able to sit down, and it didn’t stop at any stations before the airport, but really it wasn’t worth paying twice the price of the regular train.
The cab ride from the airport was expensive because we’re a family of 7, and we were too tired to find a cheap alternative.

We left at 9.30 am, we were home at 6 pm. And we’re gonna sleep like logs tonight.

Tomorrow is our last in Thailand… and it’s my birthday!
I know my family is up to something, but I’m not sure how it’s gonna go down. We have to check out no later than 12 pm, and our plane leaves at 2 am Wednesday. How to factor in a birthday celebration I do not know. Hopefully, they wake me up with a birthday song. That’s how it’s always been when I lived at home, and that’ll make my day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

LunchLunch
Lunch

... on the sidewalk
Lunch IILunch II
Lunch II

... brought to you by Seattle ;)
Blind singerBlind singer
Blind singer

One heck of a battery pack on his back!
PineapplesPineapples
Pineapples

Love the way they cut them!


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb