Khao San Road and King Anniversary


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 10th 2006
Published: June 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wow, people in Thailand really really really love their king. Yesterday me and my roomies went downtown to check out the festivities for the king's 60th anniversary holiday. There were like a billion people there. No joke, a billion. Well, all I know is I've never seen that many people in one spot in my entire life. There was a parade, speeches (no clue what about), then a candle lighting (yea, I was kinda scared about the billion people ALL having their own candle and not burning down the city...) then fireworks. Oh yea, did I mention about twenty random Thai people off the streets took pictures with us!? It was hilarious. So I'm officially in photo albums all over Asia, haha. They seriously just love foreigners here. After all of the ceremonies, they had FIVE seperate concert stages set up on one huge lawn. Yea, ridiculous. One was rock, another two dancers, and the other not quite sure. However, the bad thing is about a billion people in one city is the traffic afterwards. Because we live so far outside the city, we met up with our guide to go and eat and wait it out. Well he said we had no chance and just got us a hotel room. So that was pretty unexpected but nice. I had hot water in my shower!!! Yea, doesn't sound impressive? Well my apartment definately only has cold so this was amazing. Then a free breakfast in the morning! Yay.
Well of course we did not have any clothes so we just decided to find the bus stop and go on home. These plans quickly changed however, when we were stopped on the street by a random man who of course, noticed we where foreigners. He told us that today was the only free day of the year to go to many of the temples and different sites around the city for free, so of course, we changed our minds about going home. I have no idea if he was trying to scam us or not. I think he was just being friendly though.... So he circled a few things on our map and we made him tell our tuk-tuk driver where we wanted to go. So we visited the Golden Mount which was awesome because it was the highest point in Bangkok and we had a great city view. After we went to the Lucky Buddha and the Black Buddha. Every where we went random people at the temples would just tell us all about them, usually more than we wanted, but they are just so dang nice you can't tell them to leave you alone.
Oh yea, two nights ago we ventured out to Khao San Road to meet up with some other Americans we met a few nights ago. We all met at an incredible Italian restaurant. I really needed this break from Thai cuisine. Khao San road is famous in Thailand for being the spot for foreigners. Also, if any of you have seen "the Beach" it is a main setting at the beginning of the movie. It is like Hippie haven. I LOVED it, haha..of course. People with dreads, bohemian clothes, etc. were everywhere! We went to a club called "Lava" and met people from everywhere. Of course the craziest people we hung out with were Americans that are spending a year traveling around the world. The club actually played very good music, not techno which I expected. Oh yea, and no cover which was nice. So thats all I have for now, laa kawn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

the king and queen!the king and queen!
the king and queen!

long live the king...
thai girls "wai" at the buddha imagesthai girls "wai" at the buddha images
thai girls "wai" at the buddha images

notice the no shoes in temples, i pretty much love this rule


16th June 2006

I wish I was there to experience the celebrations....it was a once in a life time kind of a thing to see how much a whole nation loved their King....Hope u enjoy ur days ahead in Siam even more.......And do visit Chiang Mai side .....

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb