Back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 11th 2011
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left this morning and walked to the main road to catch a ride to the bus station Leng told us to go to. We arrived and got told there were no buses leaving to Bangkok till 11am, which was a 3 hour wait. So we left and went to the main bus stop in Rayong where we only had to wait 1 hour. As we were waiting Tris heard a weird splat noise, and when he looked to see what it was, a bird had shit all over a seat a few chairs away from him. We got up and moved to the other row of chairs. It was disgustng. Some drunk guy then sat in the chair beside the bird poo and we are pretty sure he put his hand in it haha.

We boarded the bus and 2 hours later arrived in Bangkok. Bangkok has 2 bus stations, a South and an East. We were pretty sure we were sopossed to arrive at the other bus station. We got off and fgured out where we were then caught the sky train closer to where we wanted to go. A lady told us we could catch the #15 bus to Ko San Rd if we waited. After an hour of no bus coming we got impatient. We got talking with another tourist from Holland and we decided to take a cab together back to Koh San. We learned from her that taxi's HAVE to use their meters. It is illegal for them not too. Some try to get away with it when picking up tourists because they inflate the rate, and many tourists don't know that it is illegal. We were happy to learn this as we are sure we have been gouged once or twice already.

We dropped off our bags at the guest house, we are staying the night in the same one we first stayed at, Lamphu Guesthouse. We then grabbed a bite to eat as we hadnt had anything all morning. After, we jumped in a cab and went to the train station in hopes to purchase 2 tickets leaving in the evening to Surat Thani for tomorrow. We soon found out that no tickets were available in 2nd class ( bed with fan), or even first class for that matter. We could not get tickets till March 14th ( 4 days from now).

So that puts a little damper in our itinerary, but since we have an ample amount of time we weren't to worried. We pulled out our Lonely Planet and decided that we will spend a couple days outside of Bangkok in a place called Kanchanaburi. We have to pick up our laundry at 12:00, which we are sure we got ripped off on too, then we'll take off. Buses leave for Kanchanaburi every 20 minutes.

After the train station we went to Siam Square which is the modern shopping centre area of Bangkok. We walked around, but since we just started travelling, we dont want to buy anything. Our bags are already fuller then they need to be. We had a few donuts at a fancy donut making place, then went on to walk some more. We went to check out the aquarium which says it is the biggest in SE Asia, but it was 15$ a person to get in. We took a few photos in the lobby which you'll see below but that is it. Instead we went and saw I am # 4 in the imax. The theatres here make really good popcorn. You can choose from 3 different flavors. We chose cheese and it was awesome. There also was a huge movie promotion or something, maybe a movie release, or official screening or something as there was a ton of media people filming what looked like asian celebrities. The movie was called Hero Service. I'm going to google it after I'm done blogging.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb