Thailand Railway Hall of Fame (Railway Museum) - Day 3


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 2nd 2011
Published: January 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 2nd January 2011


Finding our way to the Railway Museum aka the Thailand Railway Hall of Fame was a challenging business. Located at the northern outskirts of Bangkok, it was a long long walk from the nearest BTS Skytrain Station (Mo Chit Station). While hoards of people were heading straight to the touristy Chatuchak Weekend Market on a Sunday morning, we crossed over to the Chatuchak Park in search for the Railway Museum. After it must had been a good 20 minutes walk under the hot sun, we finally chanced upon what looked like a huge warehouse building at one corner of the Park.

The exterior of the building certainly did not tell us that this was actually the Railway Museum that we were looking for all morning. It was pretty rundown and a fresh coat of paint would certainly give the building a new lease of life.

My travel mate kept asking why I was always so crazy about those trains.

“Probably I was a train driver in my previous life I guess!”

I certainly did not have a finite answer for her either.

The disused locomotives and the train cars were certainly a delight for us and I’m sure it would be so for all train-buffs as well. Unlike many of the museums I had visited, we could get onto the carriages and had our pictures taken with these time machines. There were very few “Do Not Enter” signs and barricades guarding those displays which were always a wet blanket.

The Train Museum is certainly an underrated attraction in Bangkok and well worth the extra efforts required to get there. Admission to the premises is free and it is opened every weekend. Donations that are used for general up keeping of the premises are always welcomed.

All in all, we spent a lovely morning exploring the Chatuchak Park and the Railway Museum – something we haven’t had a chance to do so during our past few trips in Bangkok.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 81; dbt: 0.2344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb