Arriving in Bangkok, Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 23rd 2010
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

“Take us to Sukhumvit Road sir!” We sunk back into our seats in the taxi, grinning at our successful commute to the other side of the world. We were quick to realize our driver didn’t speak a word of English (something we would be getting used to) and franticaly began flipping through a Pocket Thai Dictionary in hopes that we could somehow navigate our way to the hostel. As soon as we got inside the city it was obvious we were in a VERY different place than what we were used to back home or even anywhere we’ve ever experienced. The smell alone said it all, it was stuffy and the streets had crowds that made New York City look like Lancaster, PA. The smell of cigarettes and Pad Thai came through the windows as we passed a few men with baby elephants on the side of the road as tourists took pictures. It was bizarre to see elephants on leashes in an overcrowded city, but we would soon learn this was very normal and reoccurring. Although it was late at night when we arrived in Bangkok, and we had been traveling like sardines for over 24 hours we could not have been more excited to touch ground in Thailand. Excited to sleep in bamboo huts, pack into 12 hour caravans, come up with new means for toilet paper, feast on street food, and dance at a full moon party. Maybe it was the delicious Sushi in the Tokyo airport, or a sugar rush from all the airport candy we’ve consumed along the way, but we were in Thailand, and our adrenaline was pumping!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb